• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Drinking lots

Snowberry

Wise Old Thumper
My bunny has always drank quite a bit but the past few days he has been getting through a bottle a day. I have done a search on here and read about possible kidney infections and needing to panacur him.

Is a bottle a day normal for an indoor bun? It used to last him two days but for the past few days its needed refilling.

I was hoping not to have to take him back to the vets (I have paid £200 in 2 weeks) but its sounding like I might need to. He doesnt seem ill, is still eating and pooing normal amounts and is as bright eyed as ever.

He was neautered 3 weeks ago, then had his check up, then last week had a fight and scratched his eye so had to go for that. He has eye cream and was on metacam but have stopped giving that now.

Is he weeing more than normal or is he damp about his bottom or hind legs? Were his teeth checked when he was neutered?

When you say a bottle a day, what sie is the bottle? None of mine get through a bottle a day (even the indoor pair) but they have medium sied ones. Also, are you sure the bottle isn't leaking? Sometimes changes in room temperature can make them leak, like if you are using the central heating for example.

my 4 buns were have started drinking 2 litres a day :shock: Houdini is the culpret though as he has lost ALLOT of weight although he is fine in himself. Vet thought he may have an organ disease - kindneys. Even though he has been wormed apparently old buns can get it, infected buns or just bad luck buns. He had blood tests today £68 and he doesn't have kidney or liver failure. Sent the blood off though to look for other things and worse case is that he could have tumour. Id keep an eye on your buns water, measure how many mils he is drinking a day.

Its a 300ml bottle that he is getting through. He is weeing as usual from what I can tell but I will monitor it over the next few days. Just checked him and his bottom isnt wet at all.

I havent panacured since I got him so would now be an ideal time to do it just in case? I have two bunnies so would want to do them both. If i buy the rabbit paste from p@h how many tubes would I need? I have never used it before.

yes now would be a good time to worm them both. No idea about the paste im afraid, someone else will have to help you with that one.

You need to know how much they weight for a start....a tube will do two bunnies weighing up to 2.5kg each for 9 days.

I know that one of them is 1.35kg, no idea about the other. Will have to nip into vets 2moro and see if they will weigh him for me. He is quite a bit heavier than the other, i would guess about 2kg at least.

I will panacur them both starting tomorrow and keep an eye on how much he is weeing/drinking over the next few days.

Thanks for your help, really hoping we dont need a vets trip anytime soon- my bank balance is running extremly low this month!

Back