• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Worried about Ronnie :o(

Becky86

Wise Old Thumper
Have been out all day... Ronnie was fine when i left this morning, i got home to find him sitting in his litter tray in his crate :? He normally greets us at the door :?

Hes still sitting there now, after an hour or so :? :( Ive just gave him some veg, and hes ate it. Hes drinking fine.

Just lifted him out to check his underneath, he struggled to get away but immediately got back in the crate to sit down when i picked him up from.

Not sure if hes having an 'off' day or if hes ill :( :( Dont know what to do xXx

Yep, litter tray was changed this morning and theres poo in there :?

Cant get him to move :( His eyes look funny to me aswell, like glazed over? Dont know if that sounds right or not.

I feel a vets vist coming on :cry: xXx

Has he hurt his back/ hind legs ?

ETA Just read your last post. If he looks 'dazed' it may be something nerological going on. I would get him to a Vet tonight.

Good luck

xx

Has he hurt his back/ hind legs ?

ETA Just read your last post. If he looks 'dazed' it may be something nerological going on. I would get him to a Vet tonight.

Good luck

xx

His legs are fine, he pulled away when i lifted him and hopped straight back to the litter tray.

Im going to call the vets now see if i can catch them before they shut... if not we're off to St Georges :( :( Thanks Jane xXx

We're home :)

Wasnt the rabbit savvy vet i saw :? He did give Ronnie a full check over, said his temp is high at 106. He said his tummy feels quite empty :( His eyes were apparently fine, even though they dont look normal to me :?

He couldnt find anything obviously wrong with him... he wasnt going to give him anything apart from an injection of baytril just incase he has an infection about him, but i asked for pain relief as Ronnie appeared to be in pain to me compared to how he normally is :(

So he had the 2 injections, i told him he appeared to be eating fine but hes sent us home with some fiberplex just incase he stops eating before we can get to the vets tomorrow am.

Emma (ronnies normal bunny savvy vet) is back on duty at 8am tomorrow morning, so if hes no better we shall be on our way back to the vets :( Since we've got home hes had a BIG drink and is now sitting in his litter tray again :( Hes acting very strange though :? Still really worried xXx

We're home :)

Wasnt the rabbit savvy vet i saw :? He did give Ronnie a full check over, said his temp is high at 106. He said his tummy feels quite empty :( His eyes were apparently fine, even though they dont look normal to me :?

He couldnt find anything obviously wrong with him... he wasnt going to give him anything apart from an injection of baytril just incase he has an infection about him, but i asked for pain relief as Ronnie appeared to be in pain to me compared to how he normally is :(

So he had the 2 injections, i told him he appeared to be eating fine but hes sent us home with some fiberplex just incase he stops eating before we can get to the vets tomorrow am.

Emma (ronnies normal bunny savvy vet) is back on duty at 8am tomorrow morning, so if hes no better we shall be on our way back to the vets :( Since we've got home hes had a BIG drink and is now sitting in his litter tray again :( Hes acting very strange though :? Still really worried xXx

Good lord his temp is high :shock:

I would get some cool damp towels onto him ASAP. Thank goodness you asked for pain relief. I hope it was Metacam as that also acts as an antipyretic.
To be honest I am amazed he wasnt admitted. Not wishing to cause you major stress but he is VHD Vaccinated isnt he ?

Sending tons of vibes

xx

Yep, had his VHD about 2 months ago.

Yep he had metacam, he does seem to be in pain :(

His breathing isnt normal either... seems slower than normal? Vet said it seemed normal though :roll:

Shall get the ice pod from down the shed... didnt realise his temp was that bad :( Whats normal?? Vet just said it was a little high :?

My poor baby :( xXx

Yep, had his VHD about 2 months ago.

Yep he had metacam, he does seem to be in pain :(

His breathing isnt normal either... seems slower than normal? Vet said it seemed normal though :roll:

Shall get the ice pod from down the shed... didnt realise his temp was that bad :( Whats normal?? Vet just said it was a little high :?

My poor baby :( xXx

Normal temp is 101.3-104F

Anything above 105 is significantly raised.

Have a look at this thread

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=165059

Sounds very similar

More vibes for Ronnie

xx

Thanks Jane xXx

Hes still not attempting to move... dont think i'll be going to bed anytime soon :oops: OH had just put a cold damp towel over him... he hasnt moved - just sitting there with it on him :(

Thanks for the vibes - i hope they work :( xXx

Thanks Jane xXx

Hes still not attempting to move... dont think i'll be going to bed anytime soon :oops: OH had just put a cold damp towel over him... he hasnt moved - just sitting there with it on him :(

Thanks for the vibes - i hope they work :( xXx

He probably feels like :censored: poor chap.
Getting his fever down should help him feel better. He appears to have an acute infection so it'll take a good 48 hours for the abx to kick in. Even if he is 'better with himself' tomorrow he will need to see the Vet again as he def' needs a full course of abx.

Try to keep him eating overnight to keep his guts going.

xx

He probably feels like :censored: poor chap.
Getting his fever down should help him feel better. He appears to have an acute infection so it'll take a good 48 hours for the abx to kick in. Even if he is 'better with himself' tomorrow he will need to see the Vet again as he def' needs a full course of abx.

Try to keep him eating overnight to keep his guts going.

xx

Yeah... he shall go and see Emma in the morning... i'll call first thing. At least she can check him properly then. Its horrible when you have to see a different vet, especially when they think hes ok and i know full well he isnt :( At least hes had pain relief i guess.

Thanks for your help Jane - i shall update in the morning :) xXx

Yeah... he shall go and see Emma in the morning... i'll call first thing. At least she can check him properly then. Its horrible when you have to see a different vet, especially when they think hes ok and i know full well he isnt :( At least hes had pain relief i guess.

Thanks for your help Jane - i shall update in the morning :) xXx

I'll be hoping to read some good news about your Big Ronnie in the morning

xx

Back