• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Questions about my baby rabbits please read :)

Parsnip=]

New Kit
my babies were a week old yesterday have had glimps of them their soooo cute!! anyway what i was wandering was they should be coming out over the weekend is it ok to maybe try and clean underneath the nest as they are getting abit smelly. also is it ok to pick them up when they come out the nest or should i leave it until maybe next weekend. x

Check the nest for dead babies, make sure it is dry, but other then that leave it for a while. If you are doing anything, in the hutch I would distract mum with food, in the run. wipe your hands with used bedding, or litter before going in.

babies at a week old won't be coming out of the nest yet:D. I would do as louiswe as said and cxheck for any dead babies but apart from that don't go disturbing the nest to clean it out as it could upset mum. You can clean out the other areas in the hutch but not the part where the nest is. Babies don't start to open their eyes till about 11 days, their fur will be growing and you will be able to see what colour the babies are going to be.

Actually, It is completly okay to handle babies. I handle mine from day one and mum never does anything. I think that as long as the doe trusts you, the kits are in good condition, and the weather is ok you may handle them when ever you want. just make sure they are warm and that mum dosn't turn aggresive when you pick them up and they will be fine. Mine actually come out of the nest box the day their eyes open wich is usually around day 10. Hope this helps. Msg me if you want :wave:

aww wow! you were brave to try that! how many do you have ? yeah i thought they are most likely to come out then which for me should be friday! i cant wait im always just sat their watching them. as they are indoors :)

thanks for your help x:)

Back