• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Benjie has mucus coming from his bottom U/D back from vets - any spare vibes please?

Bunnyaddict

Wise Old Thumper
I've just picked Benjie up & he was soaked in urine all over his bottom, tail & hind legs. He also has some brown mucus that came out of his bottom whilst I was holding him. His little sacs also look a little swollen, although he's neutered. He's booked in for the vets tomorrow to be checked over but I just wondered if anyone has any ideas as to what might be wrong with him. He is eating well at the moment, but I've also noticed he's got a snotty nose, so suspect he might have snuffles - could the mucus be related to snuffles? I bathed him to get all the stuff off him & he seems a bit happier because of this, but I just want to make sure he's ok,

Sorry if this sounds daft, but after losing Jemima on Sunday, I couldn't bear to lose this little boy too :cry: He's about 6 & normally a really well bunny.

Any advice or helps would be really appreciated.

thanks a lot
Denise

Last edited:
Hi Denise if he Is soaked in urine he could have a urinary tract infection.The mucus out his bum could be due to inflamation of the intestinal lining.If I were you I would try and get him to see the vet today to get some antibiotics to treat the infection

Thanks Sarah, will give them a ring & see I can get him in tonight. If not, I have some baytril which I could give him overnight to help with the infection until tomorrow morning.

Thanks Sarah, will give them a ring & see I can get him in tonight. If not, I have some baytril which I could give him overnight to help with the infection until tomorrow morning.

I wouldn't give him the Baytril without seeing a vet, it could exacerbate the problems with his GI tract.

Hope he's OK.

Thanks Sarah, have just spoken with our vet & they aren't able to see him until tomorrow as they're fully booked. I've explained what's happened & I've to give Benjie Baytril tonight. Think I'll be sleeping with this little fella tonight to make sure he's ok.

I wouldn't give him the Baytril without seeing a vet, it could exacerbate the problems with his GI tract.

Hope he's OK.

Thanks Sooz, after speaking with our vet they've said to give him 0.5ml tonight until we get him in to them in the morning. So hope he's going to be ok, if he starts to deteriorate I'll taking him down to the emergency vets - although I don't really want to, as I'm not convinced that they are that rabbit savvy :?

Thanks Sooz, after speaking with our vet they've said to give him 0.5ml tonight until we get him in to them in the morning. So hope he's going to be ok, if he starts to deteriorate I'll taking him down to the emergency vets - although I don't really want to, as I'm not convinced that they are that rabbit savvy :?

Are you at the PDSA center (using vets4pets) out of hours? If so, from what I've heard, they are pretty awful with bunnies. :?

Are you at the PDSA center (using vets4pets) out of hours? If so, from what I've heard, they are pretty awful with bunnies. :?

Yep we are unfortunately :? That's where we took Jemima on Sunday :cry: Although to be fair what happened to Jemima was completely unforeseen & not their fault. I'm not convinced they would have know what to do had she not passed away.

I just wish our own vets at Crookes at Hackenthorpe offered their own out of hours service, as I really trust them & have always been happy with them.

Benjie seems a lot brighter now & is munching away at his hay - so fingers crossed he will be ok. He's not passed any more mucus or wet himself.

My vets use them for out of hours to, but luckily provide weekend surgeries as well so *touch wood* I havn't had to venture up there yet (or try to find a taxi that would take me).

Glad to hear Benji is looking brighter. :)

Thanks Jane & Sarah - just got back from vets, Benjie is about the same - although thankfully he's not wee'd himself or had anymore mucus come out of his bottom. He's had a metocolpromide (think that's how it's spelt?) & septrin injection for his guts & his snuffles.

His chest is very noisy & he's got a snotty nose. On the positive side, he's wolfed down his veggies & getting stuck into his hay & pellets. I've got to take him back first thing tomorrow morning for a check up & they will see how he's doing, but looks like he might be on septrin for a while to try to clear up his chest & snuffles :cry:

Just so hope & pray that my little man is going to be ok :cry: Benjie would really appreciate any spares vibes that anyone has please to help him get better xxx

Poor Benjie, sending lots of vibes for the little fella. xx Bubbles sends him some loving from her sick bed too. ;)

Benjie says thank you very much for all his get well vibes & hugs for his mummy, he says we both really appreciate them :D He says he hopes to feel much better soon & will let you know later how he is feeling.

Come on Bubbles, Benjie says you've got to well too - as us bunsters must stop worrying our mummies :(

Back