• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Smelly wee and small poops :S

FudgeMallow

Mama Doe
I have 2 questions that need some answers:

1. Millie and Thumpers pee smells really bad today, its like strong human pee :? The only thing i can think of is that i gave them basil last night and they havent had it in a while! Could it be the cause of the smelly wee?

2. My boy Blackie whos is slighty overweight, insisor-less, and moulting really badly all the time has small dark poo and not alot of them. He has been like this since he was born but there has been less of them within the past 2days :? also some of his poos are stuck together with hair :? what is wrong with him? He is fine in every other way im just so confused??

Re the wee, yes Basil is likely to be the cause of the smell.

Re Blackie- He is showing signs of reduced gut motility and you need to act on this.

Does he eat hay ? If so how much ?
What else does he have in his diet?
Does he get lots of exercise ?
Why is he overweight?
How much does he drink?
As he is Incisorless when were his molars last checked?
Do you groom him every day during a moult (to avoid him ingesting too much fur) ?

Re the wee, yes Basil is likely to be the cause of the smell.

Re Blackie- He is showing signs of reduced gut motility and you need to act on this.

Why is he overweight?
How much does he drink?
Do you groom him every day during a moult (to avoid him ingesting too much fur) ?

Yes he eats hay but not much as he struggles with long strands so i have to cut hay up, he eats maybe a handful a day and leaves the rest

He gets a teaspoon of excel a day and veg 3 days a week (spring greens, savoy cabbage and mint)

Why is he overweight?

He gets out for about 6 hours a day but is so lazy, hence being overweight, he sleeps and lyes down and very occasionally runs and jumps :?
he used to get 2 tablespoons a day but its cut back and he has lost a little weight!

How much does he drink?
Maybe 150-200ml a day

He was last at the vet 2/3 months ago about his moulting but molars were fine then?

Do you groom him every day during a moult
Everyday he gets brushed due to his bad moulting!

How do i sort this? im so worried and feel really bad for not thinking of asking a few days ago! :(:(

EDT: He is 1 year old and had smaller poo than his brother and sister since he was born but has not had any problems untill the reduced poo recently!!!

Last edited:
What i have just realised is he isnt drinking as much as he used to but still eats his pellets!

Is there a way to help him get better from home or is it a vet job? I have some probiotic that i add to my buns water would this help?

Thanks for any help, im really worrying :(:(

Last edited:
Giving him a water bowl rather than a bottle may make him drink more.
When he is out having exercise try to make his environment stimulating. Lots of up-turned boxes to investigate and things to make him hop about more.

I would definately get his molars checked again ASAP. They are very likely to be too long as he is a poor hay eater.

You could try to increase his fibre intake by feeding a pellet feed that has a higher fibre content than Excel. Something like Oxbow Bunny Basics-T Pellets maybe ?
http://www.oxbowanimalhealth.com/products/type/fortified_food?node=1519

In the short-term giving him some Fibreplex, a pro/prebiotic paste with added fibre may be useful

http://www.vetuk.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1180

I think the first thing to do is to get his molars checked :)

Giving him a water bowl rather than a bottle may make him drink more.
When he is out having exercise try to make his environment stimulating. Lots of up-turned boxes to investigate and things to make him hop about more.

I would definately get his molars checked again ASAP. They are very likely to be too long as he is a poor hay eater.

You could try to increase his fibre intake by feeding a pellet feed that has a higher fibre content than Excel. Something like Oxbow Bunny Basics-T Pellets maybe ?
http://www.oxbowanimalhealth.com/products/type/fortified_food?node=1519

In the short-term giving him some Fibreplex, a pro/prebiotic paste with added fibre may be useful

http://www.vetuk.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1180

I think the first thing to do is to get his molars checked :)

Thanks for all the help :D:wave:

He is going to the vet first thing with skye(due a dental) and have given him a bowl of water as well as his bottle and given him some veggies which i soaked in water :)

He never stops moulting and has been to the vet but his coat and skin is fine but due to his constant moult he ingests alot of hair, would giving him pineapple help or giving the oxbow tablets be better??

Thanks for all the help i really appreciate it :wave::D

Thanks for all the help :D:wave:

He is going to the vet first thing with skye(due a dental) and have given him a bowl of water as well as his bottle and given him some veggies which i soaked in water :)

He never stops moulting and has been to the vet but his coat and skin is fine but due to his constant moult he ingests alot of hair, would giving him pineapple help or giving the oxbow tablets be better??

Thanks for all the help i really appreciate it :wave::D

If you give pineapple it has to be fresh as that contains the enzyme (Bromelain) which is meant to help. An unproven theory though !!
The Oxbow Bromelain tabs would be fine.

Good luck at the Vets :)

Back