• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

HELP! Quick replies needed/ false alarm!!

Lillian

Warren Veteran
I went out to feed the buns and something is wrong with Roo! :cry:
Shes normally very feisty and runs straight to the door for food, but today she isn't. Shes just laying at the back of the shed. I picked her up and she didn't barely panic, normally she'd kick and bite. She wont eat veg or pellets, i dont think shes eating hay either :? :cry: I'm thinking maybe stasis? What signs should i be looking for? I'm keeping an eye on her and will get her to the vets when my dads back from work!

Last edited:
It could be stasis as mine show similar symptoms.
Is she pushing her tummy to the floor, or looking hunched?

small poos and bloated tummy, vet trip i think to be sure get them to check her teeth as well while your there

It could be stasis but there are many other things there could be too. Could you get her to the vets earlier?

You need to keep her warm, and if she is hungry then let her eat, lots of hay, and also hydration is important too.

Try not to panic or be anxious around her, be calm because that will help her too.

It could be stasis as mine show similar symptoms.
Is she pushing her tummy to the floor, or looking hunched?

She's laying pushed into the corner :( Should i bring her indoors, or will the heat change from outdoors to indoors make her worse? If i can't bring her in i will put loads of hay and straw around her to keep her warm. My dad will be back in a few hours. I'm going to see if i can get her eating.

It does sound like the start of stasis to me, so a trip to the vets is best.

Whilst you're waiting to get to the vets do you have any infacol to start her off with?

I'd bring her into the warm as there's nothing worse than this damp cold weather when you're feeling rough.

Ideally you need to keep her moving too as that will help to get her guts moving, but Strawberry was like this two weeks ago and she wouldn't move at all. Considering she'd eaten her breakfast OK she was showing symptoms only 1hr later - took her a good 4 hours to come around once she'd had meds.

Do you know when she last ate?

It does sound like the start of stasis to me, so a trip to the vets is best.

Whilst you're waiting to get to the vets do you have any infacol to start her off with?

I'd bring her into the warm as there's nothing worse than this damp cold weather when you're feeling rough.

Ideally you need to keep her moving too as that will help to get her guts moving, but Strawberry was like this two weeks ago and she wouldn't move at all. Considering she'd eaten her breakfast OK she was showing symptoms only 1hr later - took her a good 4 hours to come around once she'd had meds.

Do you know when she last ate?

Last night Roo and Honey shared a bowl of veg and pellets, she was lively and eating then.. but i don't know if shes eaten any hay or such during the night/morning.

Don't panic too much then if you know she ate last night - you've caught it early.

She may just need some pain meds and the stuff the vet gives that is similar/acts the same as infacol.

Can you get her to the vet this morning?

what veg may i ask same as normal or have you gievn them something new, as others have said bring her in, get her moving around you could try very gentle tummy massarge on floor level not by picking up

I'd suggest getting her inside and giving her tummy rubs but also keep her moving, as much as she wants to sit still, it helps get the gut moving again but you do need to get her to the vet asap.

Shes indoors. She hopped a few times then laid down. We brought Honey in as well as they both get nervous without each other.

Last night they had there normal veg, and a tiny bit of parsley. Roo hasn't had parsley before, so maybe she can't have it :? It said in the rabbit book i was reading that rabbits are allowed parsley. Her gut isn't sounding noisey and she isnt grinding her teeth. Shes just quiet and not interested in food :? We can get her to the vets in a few hours. I think she will be ok till then.

Do you have any syringes at home.....warmth, tummy rubs and Infacol combined with some careful syringing of warm water every hour can help to keep her stomach contents hydrated thus making them easier to move should she need Metaclopromide later on. The Infacol will break down any gas which will help relieve some pain associated with internal pressure.

Don't try to force feed her at this stage but do make sure she has plenty of food available....voluntary eating is the best way forward when you don't know what you are dealing with.

If you have any probiotics adding this to the syringed water will be beneficial.

If she is refusing all food she does need to see a vet as soon as possible. Have you made an appointment yet?

Back