• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Now what?

Netutopia

Alpha Buck
I am so upset - I have cried my eyes out this morning.

You may have read about Sooty being ill (don't panic - he is OK), and him and Syrup having a fight. Well I split them up and she is in the shed and he is in an old spare hutch.

Today she was going crazy gnawing at the mesh door to try and get out (she never did this when they were together) and he looked really miserable.

So I thought that I would put them in a neutral space and try again - it was hate at first sight - they immediately launched into a full on scrap. So she is back in her shed and he is back in the hutch.

Now what? :cry::cry::cry:

I don't want single bunnies but I can't have any more, I don't have the space, time or money for an extra pair, so what do I do?

I feel lousy.

aw that sounds awful. i tried putting my girls together but they hate each other. i really don't know what you can do, there are lots of options but properly not ones you want to think about.

Are they both neutered/spayed. Has it been longer that 8 weeks since their ops to let hormones die down? I would leave them a few weeks before you try again. And then take it really, really slow. Or get a Rescue to try for you?

It may never work though, if they've fought - or they may need a lot of time to forget.

My Chocolate & Smirnoff fought (no injuries, but they were locked on), but a year later they lived in a big group & were actually really close. Although I have a list as long of my arm as to why the first attempt failed:roll:

Sooty was neutered 2.5 years ago and Syrup 18 months ago - they have lived happily together for nearly 18 months and of all of my bunnies I would have put money on them staying the course. :roll:

Sooty is just getting over being quite ill but Syrup was great with him through his illness. Now he is on the mend they can't stand the sight of each other. :cry:

Forgot to say - their initial bond was the easiest ever - I was very new to bunnies (didn't have a clue at bonding) and introduced them in the garden (his territory) - he was fine, she wondered over to his (non neutralised hutch) and in she went, followed by him and they snuggled up - it really was love at first sight :love:

They have been inseparable since - until now. :shock:

She can be a feisty madam with me but has always been so loving with him.

have u tried taking them for a spin in the car??

They have been back and forwards to the vet when he was ill (together), but I haven't took them in the carrier together since their fight. The minute they set eyes on each other they tore into each other, so even if the car ride calmed them I wouldn't feel comfortable putting them in such close proximity having seen the way that they are together.

Also Sooty still has a slight head tilt.

So sorry to waffle on but I don't have anyone I can talk to about this. No one that doesn't have bunnies understands - they just think I am an eccentric, mad bunny woman :lol: Perhaps I am!

Do you think Sooty has recovered enough from his head tilt i.e how long ago did it start?

Maybe they need more time apart to give him a chance to fully recover?

Do you think Sooty has recovered enough from his head tilt i.e how long ago did it start?

Maybe they need more time apart to give him a chance to fully recover?

He has got 2 more (daily) antibiotic injections to go. He is back to himself in terms of eating and behaviour - just this slight head tilt left.

My advice would be to keep them completely away from each other for at least 4 weeks..not even within sight
Do not be tempted to try re bonding before this.
Then start again as in a new bond..neutral area etc.

If they have had a big fight they will remember it for a while..and if they keep seeing each other it will remind them

This time of year buns tend to be more fiesty whether neutered or not..a bit of spring fever
Also your male not being 100% may make the doe a bit less willing to accept him as a partner..him having had treatment may also have made him smell different to her

As said at start..completely away from each other for 4 weeks..then try again..or ask a rescue to try for you!
Good luck!:D

My advice would be to keep them completely away from each other for at least 4 weeks..not even within sight
Do not be tempted to try re bonding before this.
Then start again as in a new bond..neutral area etc.

If they have had a big fight they will remember it for a while..and if they keep seeing each other it will remind them

This time of year buns tend to be more fiesty whether neutered or not..a bit of spring fever
Also your male not being 100% may make the doe a bit less willing to accept him as a partner..him having had treatment may also have made him smell different to her

As said at start..completely away from each other for 4 weeks..then try again..or ask a rescue to try for you!
Good luck!:D

Thanks a million Jill, 4 weeks it is. Just hope that she doesn't eat her way out of the mesh door by then :lol:

At least my trio seem to have calmed down - think I would be hitting the bottle otherwise!

My guinea pigs are so much better behaved (thank goodness).

Seriously everyone - thank you so much for your advice. It was all very raw this morning and my husband wasn't here - he has just got back and said that we will go to the Chinese buffet for lunch - so I am sure that that will help calm me down!

Work is piling up hugely - but that can go on hold and give me something to be stressed about tomorrow. :roll::lol:

Silly bunnies will have to spend Valentines Day on their own now!

If you're struggling I'm sure one of us can help.

yup...chloe has managed to get my three into a four & the first time they went together we had serious fighting issues (locking on, boxing, fur flying, matrix style air kicks & swirling masses of circling bunnies). Chloe didn't get any sleep for two nights & me one night but they are settling their differences nicely.

I too would say you probably want to wait a bit. We waited about 1 month after the initial failure.

Back