• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Will fixed mother live happily with unfixed baby until baby is old enough?

cimada

Young Bun
My rabbit had a litter recently and I am planning to keep one of the kits, but I was wondering if anyone knew if a spayed mother will live happily with an unfixed baby rabbit, either male or female, until the baby is old enough to get fixed? Thanks ! :D

Maybe.
I've heard of people keeping unfixed female rabbits for sometimes, just often they start fighting when they're 6-12 months, but before this time it should be old enough to be neutered, male or female:D

if you can find a really good rabbit vet boys can get neutered as young as 12 to 14 weeks some prefere to wait longer, girls its 5 months as the parts are just to fragile to remove too young, mom cant be neutered until the babies are weaned at around 8 to 9 weeks, the longer you leave the neutering the more likely you will get problems,

thanks

Thanks! do you know if she would prefer male or female company, or is it ok for me to keep the cutest! :D

I guess they would still have to be separated as the mother goes under surgery, and males should be removed from the mother at 10 weeks in case early maturing.
What if you kept a male, took it out at 10 weeks and neutered mom, neutered the boy as soon as possible, give him a couple of weeks to recover and then rebond?

If you get the mum neutered when the babies are 8 weeks old, you could leave one of her sons with her and then get him neutered at 12 weeks old if you have an experienced vet. You would then not need to separate them.

Back