• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bramble makes a run for it.........

clarebear

Mama Doe
Well, Bramble took matters into his own hands yesterday and decided to take a hop around the garden, closely followed by me! :lol: I'm sooo glad no one saw me chasing after him!

Cheeky thing shot between my legs and had a lovely time! I eventually managed to 'round' him up, but when I tried to pick him up he didn't like it and hopped back into his hutch.

So today I was at the pet shop for some more food.......and I brought a harness and lead. I will now be able to take him for hops round the garden, and not have to worry about not being able to get him back in his house. Now how do I get him in the harness!! :lol:

hi, sounds like he had a bit of fun free ranging! mine have escaped twice (both my fault :oops:) and really enjoyed it too - think they get extra pleasure in things they arent supposed to do!

Just a comment, i am no expert in such things, but there are many people on here who wouldnt advocate harnesses and leads for bunnies. they can be dangerous, especially if the rabbit panics or becomes entangled. I had one years ago for my first bun, and although she was pretty good on it, once or twice she freaked out and tried to get out of it and got severely entangled.

If you want Bramble to have some free ranging, perhaps think about bunny proofing your garden so he can roam when you are supervising? its more fun watching that on a leash!

I agree with vikkivet. Try and bunny proof the garden or save to buy a run of some kind. We had a terrible time with our first bun with a harness and buns can quite easily break legs or worse if they panic and try to escape.

If you can't get him afterwards train him to come to you or a carrier with treats so you can safely put him away.

Anyway, if Bramble is free range you'll see lots of binkies which is much more fun to watch :D

I tried a harness once or twice & wouldn't recomend it. The problem is that (a) the bunny needs quite a bit of handling to get the thing on & might get distressed (2) They want to go everywhere & eat everything, even things they musn't.....sooty tried to drag me into a hedge (3) you can't exactly pull on the lead to stop them going somewhere, they tend to go up on their back paws & then fall over & this upsets them (4) if they want to have a run you have to run behind them & it makes them think they are being chased (5) you can get those extendible dog lead things to prevent you having to run around but the trouble with those is that they retract quite quickly & can again pull the bun off their feet.

I'm not 100% adverse to them & some buns that have been brought up using them are fine, these are the problems I found with it.

We use harnesses on occassion when the buns come away with us to my parents. They're not ideal, but are useful to let them have some extra exercise when the garden isn't safe. Neither of them are particularly bothered and quite happily binky as we run along behind :roll:. the tricky part I find is getting the harness off because by that point they are like over excited wriggly children.

Luckily they tend to stick to the paths and the garden isn't too overgrown - I'd be wary of using them if you have a lot of bushes that they can get under and get tangled in :)

Thanks for all your advice on this. To be honest I don't think I am even going to be successful in getting Bramble into the harness anyway! I've shown it to him, and he's had a sniff and a chew, but he doesn't even like it being laid on his back. Oh well it was a nice thought. I think our garden is pretty safe for him to run around in anyway, he wouldn't be able to get out. The fun might be getting him back into his house! Is there anything else I should be careful of if I do let him out for a hop around?

Thanks for all your advice on this. To be honest I don't think I am even going to be successful in getting Bramble into the harness anyway! I've shown it to him, and he's had a sniff and a chew, but he doesn't even like it being laid on his back. Oh well it was a nice thought. I think our garden is pretty safe for him to run around in anyway, he wouldn't be able to get out. The fun might be getting him back into his house! Is there anything else I should be careful of if I do let him out for a hop around?

The question you have to ask is - can anything else get in? I don't know where you are but birds of prey, cats, dogs, foxes even humans can be a threat to our bunnies :cry: I thought mine were safe in my garden until someone on here mentioned foxes can jump a 6ft fence :shock: Since I got my runs I've felt they are a lot safer - and I let them free-range while I'm outside with them :)

I'll only let Bramble out while I'm outside too. Let him out for a run yesterday, while I cleaned out his hutch. Think he liked it! :)

Back