• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

rabbit scratch on eye...

charlie82

Mama Doe
my little foster bunny has a small scratch on her eye :cry: I am presuming on a bit of hay because she likes to make burrows in the bale of hay. My car is in the garage and I won't get it back until tomorrow night so can't get to the vets until thursday morning. :( i have tiacil and fucithalmic cream, but they have both been opened a while... any ideas on shelf life once opened...

I have both of those and mine say do not use after a month. Maybe you could just bathe the eye with cooled boiled water until you can get to the vets? And maybe some metacam?

I have both of those and mine say do not use after a month. Maybe you could just bathe the eye with cooled boiled water until you can get to the vets? And maybe some metacam?

I agree. Definately dont use them if they have been opened and used on another Rabbit.
Can you check under her eyelids as sometimes the offending strand of hay gets lodged in the conjunctiva. If this happens it'll keep scratching the eye everytime Bun blinks.
If her eye looks very sore, is closed or has a pusy discharge tomorrow could you get a lift to the Vets maybe. Its just that if the cornea is damaged it can ulcerate if not treated promptly and corneal ulcers can be tricky to heal.

xx

I never ever delay in going to the vets... I just knew something would happen when I didn't have transport. I don't want it to develop into an ulcer. At the moment it isn't bothering her, just looks like something is stuck on her eye, but i'm pretty sure it is a scratch.

I never ever delay in going to the vets... I just knew something would happen when I didn't have transport. I don't want it to develop into an ulcer. At the moment it isn't bothering her, just looks like something is stuck on her eye, but i'm pretty sure it is a scratch.

Are you sure its not a hair ?

I agree. Definately dont use them if they have been opened and used on another Rabbit.
Can you check under her eyelids as sometimes the offending strand of hay gets lodged in the conjunctiva. If this happens it'll keep scratching the eye everytime Bun blinks.
If her eye looks very sore, is closed or has a pusy discharge tomorrow could you get a lift to the Vets maybe. Its just that if the cornea is damaged it can ulcerate if not treated promptly and corneal ulcers can be tricky to heal.

xx

I'll check. There is no soreness, inflammation etc at the moment, I only noticed it today and it is very tiny. I could try begging someone for a lift tomorrow...:(

Back