• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Vhd

My rabbit Alfie had his first VHD jag today, and he seems a bit off tonight. He had it this morning and has been eating/drinking pooing/peeing fine. He just seems a bit sleepy like. His cage is open but he doesn't really want to come out, not like him. Is this normal after a vaccination?

Thanks

We normally expect a bunny to be a bit quiet for about 2 days after VHD. If you bun is better earlier than that, then that's great news.

I wouldn't worry too much, as long as the eating and pooing and drinking continue. If you see any reaction at the actual vaccination site, then I would consult a vet.

Thank you for replying quickly, Alfie is my first rabbit and I'm prob just worrying too much. Thank you for putting my mind at rest.

If it was the CYLAP VHD Vaccine as opposed to the LAPINJECT one then he may also develope a front leg limp. This should also resolve within 48 hours.

To help minimise the risk of a local reaction to the vaccine you could gently massage the scruff of his neck, where the vaccination was given. The vaccine is in an oil base and can take time to disperse under the skin.

:)

One of my bunnies had a bad reaction to the cylap he developed the front leg limp that Jane mentioned above and also didn't want to come out of his cage or anything for a few days, i have also found a huge scab on his back where the injection was, its really sore and seems to be bothering him but it will heal in time. I now always request Lapinject as none have ever had a reaction to that one.

It was the cylap he had, there is nothing on his neck where the injection was but I'll keep checking! He isn't limping either but I will keep an eye on him.

Thank you for all your advice.

Back