• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Septic arthritis Up-date

nicole

Mama Doe
Does anyone have experience with this condition?
My appologies for not being here more often, my vet has a sample of fluid (that is being sent away for tests) from Mhairi's left knee as it is very swollen and x-rays did not show any thing other than fluid.
Vet has gave Batril and Meloxidyl. What other antibiotics can he give?

Any help will be very much appreciated.

Last edited:
Does anyone have experience with this condition?
My appologies for not being here more often, my vet has a sample of fluid (that is being sent away for tests) from Mhairi's left knee as it is very swollen and x-rays did not show any thing other than fluid.
Vet has gave Batril and Meloxidyl. What other antibiotics can he give?

Any help will be very much appreciated.

I have not had a Bun with Septic arthritis but I would have thought that its best to wait til the lab result is back before trying other abx. There are several that could be given but the results from the lab should give info as to which abx is most appropriate.

Hope she will feel more comfortable very soon

xx

I'm just trying find out as much as possible, I have gave a friend my copy of FHB and cant look anything up.:roll:

Thanks for your reply, will just have to wait and see that the lab turns up. And hope the increase in Meloxidyl will help with the pain.

:wave: Nicole

So sorry to hear that Mhari is in pain :( I would agree with waiting for the test results and then go from there.

What amount of painkiller is she on? Maybe it could be increased or split twice a day?

Give her a cuddle from me:love::love:

Hi Jay,
She was on Meloxidyl 2K (think it like 0.2ml of metacam) twice a day, but I'm sure the vet said to double the dose to 4K twice a day. But then Daryl said he said the vet said 6K, to be honest my head was up you know where. I'll phone tomorrow to make sure.

Vet did say that it could be because of the Pasteurella bacteria, as there was no sign of an injury that has broken the skin, so there was no way bacteria could of entered that way, so maybe the bacteria came from inwards. Pasteurella could do that. He also mentioned that if we are unsusessfull in treating the knee, and it leaves her with too much damage and a chronic painfully knee he would consider amputation. And I have to agree with him, but that is only after everthing has be done for Mhairi.

I have to wait 1 week for the results, I'll be climbing the walls by then.

Thanks Jay.xx

Oh Nic :( Poor Mhari :( You can give her 0.4m twice a day - that should help her :)

It could well be a pasturella infection and then different antibiotics may help :)

Our Dutchess had that happen to her in her foot - unfortunately she ended up having her leg amputated as nothing worked but that does not mean to say that drugs won't work on Mhari :D Seems as though you have caught it early :)

Remember to give her a snuggle from me :love:

Oh Nic :( Poor Mhari :( You can give her 0.4m twice a day - that should help her :)

It could well be a pasturella infection and then different antibiotics may help :)

Our Dutchess had that happen to her in her foot - unfortunately she ended up having her leg amputated as nothing worked but that does not mean to say that drugs won't work on Mhari :D Seems as though you have caught it early :)

Remember to give her a snuggle from me :love:

Jay I gave her 0.4ml this morning and again tonight, she seemed slightly brighter but she is still not bearing weight on her leg. But it is early days, and we can only wait and see what happens.
When I phoned this morning to double check the dosage the vet nurse said to give 0.4ml twice today and back to 0.2ml, but I feel Mhairi will need to double dose till we get the results back, will this be ok?
Last thing I need is to make her toxic.

I gave her a wee snuggle from you Jay and she nudges you back:wave:

Just an update, the results of her lab tests were a high white count and slight anemia. There was not enough fluid (from the knee) to do a culture to find out which bacteria was causing the problem. But he did say that it was an absess in her knee joint.

So the vet refered me (yesterday) to the royal d1ck vet at Edinburgh and I have an appointment tomorrow at 2pm.

The vet was not that confident in changing the antibiotics with out knowing what bacteria was causing the problem.

So fingers crossed for tomorrow, it's going to be a long day.

Just an update, the results of her lab tests were a high white count and slight anemia. There was not enough fluid (from the knee) to do a culture to find out which bacteria was causing the problem. But he did say that it was an absess in her knee joint.

So the vet refered me (yesterday) to the royal d1ck vet at Edinburgh and I have an appointment tomorrow at 2pm.

The vet was not that confident in changing the antibiotics with out knowing what bacteria was causing the problem.

So fingers crossed for tomorrow, it's going to be a long day.

Good luck at the appointment :)

Thanks Jane, I am in two minds whether to take Dougal, as he was gassy last night and he does get stressed with car jounrneys. Mmmm dont know what to do.

Thanks Jane, I am in two minds whether to take Dougal, as he was gassy last night and he does get stressed with car jounrneys. Mmmm dont know what to do.

Well if Mhairi is not going to be admitted I'd just take her. The last thing you need is Dougal getting poorly too !!

I have just been at the Vets with Dermot and I left Lara at home as she has been a bit poorly this week and she hates car journey's.

xx

They have kept her in and I took Dougal too. So I have told them about Dougal and his gassy tum, and any problems with him and I'm sure they can handle it.

They are doing full body x-rays, bloods and taking more fluid from her knee. They will then beable to say what needs done. They did say about opening her knee and flushing it with anti biotics.

Will keep you updated

Last edited:
They have kept her in and I took Dougal too. So I have told them about Dougal and his gassy tum, and any problems with him and I'm sure they can handle it.

They are doing full body x-rays, bloods and taking more fluid from her knee. They will then beable to say what needs done. They did say about opening her knee and flushing it with anti biotics.

Will keep you updated

It sounds as though they are both in very good hands :)

I do not know what to do with myself, my buns are 40miles away in a strange place with people that do not know them. I will be a wreck till sunday. Strangely I am more worried about Dougal, I just hope he's a good wee boy and eats up all his hay.

Have pm'd you..The Royal D***'s where my fab vet Kevin moved to. He was so excited about his post there. I'm sure your two lovely bunsters can't have any better care and attention than what they'll be getting at the moment. Vibes....
Daft website that won't take a blike's name!!:lol:

I do not know what to do with myself, my buns are 40miles away in a strange place with people that do not know them. I will be a wreck till sunday. Strangely I am more worried about Dougal, I just hope he's a good wee boy and eats up all his hay.

Hello Nicole, I am so sorry to hear about what is happening with Poor Mhairi, love hugs and nose rubs from me XXXX I hope the outcome is good Nicole x

Kareen thank you:wave:, I'm just off the phone to Sharon and had a good chat. Feeling better and am trying not to think that I should be out seeing the buns just now.

But they are in the best hands. Wish my tummy would stop going like a spin dryer.:wave:

Kareen thank you:wave:, I'm just off the phone to Sharon and had a good chat. Feeling better and am trying not to think that I should be out seeing the buns just now.

But they are in the best hands. Wish my tummy would stop going like a spin dryer.:wave:
Sending you a big massive hug Nicole xx :love::wave:

Back