• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Good Litter?

LionheadLuver

Warren Veteran
Hiya

I am using wood pellets at the moment for litter. But because of Molly's hocks, I'm trying to make everything as clean as possible. I clean wee areas every day. When they wee on the wood pellets, it doesn't really absorb away from the surface. Is there a litter that does this, and keeps it clean and dry on the surface?

I'm in Canada, so don't know if you would have this product where you are. It's called 'Carefresh' and it looks a bit like cotton batting. I've heard it can be great for rabbits suffering from foot problems (sore hocks, etc.) as it's extremely soft (with 'give' to it, which is what the foot would need) and absorbant.

My rabbit has sore hocks and I've been battling with him, trying to find a solution for his feet. Right now he and my other rabbit have free run of a carpeted bedroom, they have a cage in the room with two shelves on it. The shelves are covered with vet bedding and the floor of the cage is covered with a flat outdoor mat. Their two litterboxes have wood pellet in them, but I was forced to buy litterboxes with grates on top as my rabbit (Yofi) loves to sit in the box and dig out all of the litter.

Anyway, if you can find Carefresh, or a product similar to it, that might help your bunny's feet. :D

oo yes carefresh is very hygenic and soft but expensive.

I was using some shredded cardboard which feels very soft and keeps all the pee away from the bunny. My rabbit doesnt have sore feet but this could be a cheap way to stop your bunny's feet hurting. I didnt expect it to be soft but it really is and is good at absorbing and prevents odor :) it is very cheap too.

I used to order it from a place called Finacard online. I'm sure if you google it you can find it :)

You get a huge bale each time. It's good :)

I believe shredded cardboard is sometimes used as bedding for horses so you can get it at those sort of large animal supply shops/equine stores/horse feed shops - you know what I mean!!!

I believe shredded cardboard is sometimes used as bedding for horses so you can get it at those sort of large animal supply shops/equine stores/horse feed shops - you know what I mean!!!

haha yes! finacard is a horsey sort of place, does bedding for all types of animals :) its one that alot of rat breeders use. Ratty breeders are very specific on what bedding they use lol so i'd trust this is good bedding. It's also dust free :)

I would recommend a hemp based bedding as it is generally the most absorptive and soft. The horse bedding is called Auboise but I know you can buy it specifically for small animals but I am not sure what it is called!

Back