• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Huge poos!!!!

~ Cat ~

Wise Old Thumper
Hi folks.

Lucy is on the Excel Lite and I supplement this with hay, a small amount of Readigrass and some greens like cabbage and sprouts.

Today she has done some HUMONGOUS poos - about the size of a licourice torpedo sweet (thats all I can of describing it by).

I will keep her on hay and a few pellets but can anyone help me why she has done this?

Thank you!

Andrea x x

My bunny is having a similar problem although would say his are more the size of mini eggs!

I have just swapped him onto A&P from excel but have been doing it gradually over the past week. Not sure whether I should swap him back if it doesnt agree with him? I have cut out veg, cut any pellets right back and am feeding shed loads of hay to try and sort the problem out.

Have you changed anything in your bunnies diet that may have caused this? Tried a new veg maybe?

Lola is moulting like mad but her poos are fine.

Lucy is not moulting - her poos are the size of mini eggs! She is a greedy bunny so I may have been overfeeding her. The large poo's are very smelly as well!

Eventually going to get them on the A&P when I can get to the stockist.

Maybe I'm missing something here but I thought huge poos were good?

I thought huge, golden, easy to break fibre filled poos were the ones to aim for.

I find the "poo thing" really confusing:?

I know golden brown round poos are what we should aim for - but these "huge poos" were a bit sticky and stinky.

Should a bunny eat its cecals? (sp)? Does it matter if they dont?

Lola does the odd one now and then but never eats them x x

I find the "poo thing" really confusing:?

I know golden brown round poos are what we should aim for - but these "huge poos" were a bit sticky and stinky.

Should a bunny eat its cecals? (sp)? Does it matter if they dont?

Lola does the odd one now and then but never eats them x x
I bet Lola has a good old munch on her caecals really without you knowing it :lol: I would imagine that the ones you see are the left overs :shock::oops:

Sticky and stinky does not sound right but if it's a one-off I wouldn't stress too much.

Big poo = good. Cabbage & readigrass can make poo a bit stinky & if they are things she is not to used to then the poo could also be a bit sticky. don't forget poo size is relative to the size of the bun. Lola is tiny so would do tiny poo, lucy is bigger so her poo will be a different size.

they should eat their caecotrophs. Doesn't sound like them as they are like a string of raisins.

Back