• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Star isn't feeling well

Lea123

Young Bun
http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=127806

Some of you may have read Star's story before. He came to live with me in May after being rescued by fiver and tenor on this forum. He is a nethie and was severly neglected. He has being doing quite well over the last 8 months, got his incisors removed and now weighs 900 grams compared with 450 when first rescued. He has back leg problems and spent most of the first few months falling over and lying on his back. He probably still falls over quite a lot but the turning point came when he could get himself back on his feet. However the past 2 days he has been struggling to get up after he falls. I am really worried because I don't know why he cant get up. He is having meta cam for pain and panacur incase of ec and is going to the vets tonight. I don't really have any experience of rabbits with back leg issues so I'm not sure if there is a degenerative muscular disese they can get :?

He can't reach his ears to clean them so it could possibly be an inner ear infection.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the leg issues? Or any thoughts on how I can stop his ears from being so itchy? I clean them with ear cleaner.

Any help will be greatly appreciated :)

No experience of loss of use of back legs I'm afraid, but I did have a 3 legged bun who needed one of his ears cleaning out. I found the best way to keep them clean was to stick my finger down his ear and have a good scratch around! There isn't any risk of your finger going down too far and hurting him because it's too big. If he already has a lot of wax or irritation you may need some Canaural drops from the vet.

Loss of use of/apparent weakness in hind legs can occur with a middle ear infection. The longer the Bun is reluctant to use their hind legs the weaker they become due to muscle wastage.
I have also know Buns in Renal failure to develope hind leg weakness.

There may be a big pocket of pus behind the wax you can see in the ear canal.A Skull Xray may be the only way to find out if there is a middle ear infection. Also, before putting anything in the ear itself you need to be certain that the eardrum has not perforated. If it were to be putting any drops etc into the ear may well have dire consequences.

I would guess that a full blood work-up and Xrays (head and spine) may be what the Vet suggests.

Good luck :)

Thanks, he had perforated ear drums when I first got him but they have healed. Hopefully he will be ok he has had enough problems....if I ever meet his previous 'owners' :evil:

Back