• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I Think This is Very Interesting- Re Dental Disease

Thanks Jane

That was really interesting. I've learned so much about rabbits dentals since rescuing Leo. The photos were very clear, and explains why it is so painful for the poor little mites. :(

thanks jane that was really good reading. i have a question though. if a rabbit has had the right food from the start and eat hay all day long are they less likely to get dental problems or is it a gentic thing?

Thank you for sharing this Jane :wave:
I found it really interesting as Phoebe is a dental bun & i've never seen inside a bunny mouth like that before :shock:

thanks jane that was really good reading. i have a question though. if a rabbit has had the right food from the start and eat hay all day long are they less likely to get dental problems or is it a gentic thing?

Dental Disease can be both genetic or aquired (from a poor diet etc)
Lops, Lionheads and Nethies are more prone to congenital (genetic) Dental problems due to the shape of their skull.

Thank you for sharing this Jane :wave:
I found it really interesting as Phoebe is a dental bun & i've never seen inside a bunny mouth like that before :shock:

I think the pics give some indication as to why doing a thorough Dental on a conscious Rabbit is impossible. Obviously a conscious and superficial 'tidy-up' may be all that can be done in a Bun that is too weak/ill for a GA. But my Vet and many others I have asked all say that to do a conscious Dental routinely in an otherwise healthy Rabbit is likely to hasten the progression of Dental Disease rather than slow it down.

I think the pics give some indication as to why doing a thorough Dental on a conscious Rabbit is impossible. Obviously a conscious and superficial 'tidy-up' may be all that can be done in a Bun that is too weak/ill for a GA. But my Vet and many others I have asked all say that to do a conscious Dental routinely in an otherwise healthy Rabbit is likely to hasten the progression of Dental Disease rather than slow it down.

Jane you are like an encyclopedia - full of useful info! :lol:
I've been very lucky *touch wood* with Phoebe, when she had her first dental (under GA) the vet said she'd need regular visits as her teeth were in a bad state, that was nearly 9 months ago (it was the day before my wedding, how could i forget lol) and so far she has had no more problems.Just shows what a good diet (and alot of luck i suspect ;)) can do for a bun :)

Why would a conscious dental speed up dental disease? :?

I still don't see why this would have any noticable effect on tooth roots? :?

Apparently what goes on in the mouth re the teeth and how they wear down has a direct impact on the growth of the roots as the teeth are open rooted.
Which is why Dental Xrays are recommended as part of the monitoring of a Dental Bun.

I am only quoting what I have been told by Vets. One is the leading Dental Vet in the UK so I guess he knows his stuff !!

:wave:

Very interesting

Just to add we are seeing more Dutch buns with dental probs:(

With a severe case of dental disease I agree a ga is necessary to sort out..if the particular rabbit is well enough to cope..

But would like to add that I have known approx. 5 people who have lost their rabbits as a result of a GA dental/after effects, in the last 15 months..
I have never known of a rabbit dying as a result of a conscious dental.

A rabbit savvy vet is most important along with knowledgable after care.

Hi Jane I am also interested in this as TJ is a dental bunny. The vet said he has grade 4 dental disease (without abscess although there were signs of the beginnings of infection there) and has been on abx since september to control this an is having dentals under GA every 3-4 months.
I'm interested in the progression of the disease. He doesn't eat hay despite our efforts due to his previous owners never giving him hay and I imagine it is now very uncomfortable for him to do this anyway. He will eat greens and weeds etc. We can control his molar spurs via dentals but what effect is all this having on his roots? Is this likely to continue to progress? The article comments that the prognosis of buns with his stage of disease is poor.
I know you can't comment on TJ himself but any other general info you have or know would be great.

Hi Jane I am also interested in this as TJ is a dental bunny. The vet said he has grade 4 dental disease (without abscess although there were signs of the beginnings of infection there) and has been on abx since september to control this an is having dentals under GA every 3-4 months.
I'm interested in the progression of the disease. He doesn't eat hay despite our efforts due to his previous owners never giving him hay and I imagine it is now very uncomfortable for him to do this anyway. He will eat greens and weeds etc. We can control his molar spurs via dentals but what effect is all this having on his roots? Is this likely to continue to progress? The article comments that the prognosis of buns with his stage of disease is poor.
I know you can't comment on TJ himself but any other general info you have or know would be great.

I am not in any shape or form an expert and everything I have said here is just what various Vets have told me. I am not saying that those who opt for conscious Dentals are wrong. All I am saying is that personally I would not do so unless the Bun had no chance of surviving a GA or at least sedation.

As for the progression of a specific Rabbits Dental disease I am affreaid I dont have a clue !! I have had Buns with severe DD including abscesses and osteomyelitis. Some have been able to cope on treatment for a few years. Some just a few weeks. I honestly dont think its possible to say for certain how one particular Bun will do. But generally speaking the higher the grading of DD the less optomistic the prognosis.

This is the grading system Frances Harcourt-Brown devised :

Grade 1 Smooth ventral border to the mandible

Lack of elongated roots

Normal skull bone density

Parallel smooth linear pattern of molar roots

Grade 2
Root elongation

Early root divergence from parallel array

Hard bony swellings at the site of periosteal penetration along the mandible

Grade 3
Deviation of teeth from normal parallel array

Loss of normal occlusal zigzag pattern

Grade 4
Cessation of root growth

Broken crowns and dysplastic appearance of teeth

Loss of linear pattern

Blurred dental outline due to enamel loss

Grade 5 Difficulty in differentiating one tooth from another

All molars affected

Usually infection of tooth roots with osteomyelitis

Thanks for the info Jane, sorry to put you on the spot. :oops:.
I will have to have a discussion with our vet when he has his next check. I guess the more answers I get the more questions I have:roll:.
x

Thanks Jane that is especially useful as Honey has to go back and have her teeth checked in three weeks as they are a little long even though she is a massive hay chomper.

Back