• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Catching Bun

Dani_x

Warren Scout
I always have problems catchin my bun once shes out. im not really sure on how to pick her up - sounds bad i know! just wondered how you lot do it. i chase aimie-lou about and it takes ages lol

thanks

Try tempting her into the right place rather than picking her up, rabbits don't really like being lifted most of the time so if she knows its coming she'll just keep running :)

ive used a sheet in the past for buns that dont like being picked and sort of herded back into the cage with a nice treat of veg, ive found they get used to it and know when they have to go in if they know theres food back indoors :D run after them doesnt help slow movements, belive me tiz not funny avein child one end and me the other in the pouring rain waiting for a bun to come out from between the garage and garden fence :lol:

I always have problems catchin my bun once shes out. im not really sure on how to pick her up - sounds bad i know! just wondered how you lot do it. i chase aimie-lou about and it takes ages lol

thanks

I always tempt my buns and now they know and come running when it is that time of day!! They all love their veg so I put this in thier hutch when it is 'coming in time' and they get excited and jump in! I always praise them afterwards .....

Mine (mostly) dislike being "caught", but all are happy to follow the food into their hutches/shed. Routine is important, and make sure their fave veg is highly visible (Perhaps make this the veggie meal and others the boring meals ;)). Put it where you want them to go so they can travel there themselves rather than being picked up, if that's possible.

I know how you feel, I have a year old french lop and we use dto be able tp pick him up, But I was always too scared of hurting him or not doing it right to do it.
I know HOW to pick him up, I just rather i DIDNT :s
he hates it too, Now we just round him in like a little sheep :lol:the eaiest way to get a rabbit away!!!
Wich isint always
xx

Dwight goes crazy for "yogurt drops", absolutely crazy! (because they are sweet) I only give him one when I need to pick him up, so when he sees them he literally comes running toward me...since his cage is high up, its hard for me to lead him into his cage, so I throw the yogurt drop into his carrier right after he sees it, he goes into the carrier to get it, and thats I how I put him back! Before I figured this out, I would always have to chase him around until he gave up and would let me pick him up! the stinker!

Recently he's figured out how to jump into his cage since I leave both doors open (his cage is about 2 feet off the ground) so if its getting late, and he jumps in , I'll hurry and shut the door!

Last edited:
I have a stick that I herd them in with like Timboh above. Gloria is OK to get in as she knows that bedtime means supper, but Wolfie just can't bear to go in without a bit of a run around. He is getting better (probably cos he's realised that while he is running around, Gloria is eating all the best stuff).

Since I have started giving them their greens at bedtime instead of earlier on, it has been much easier, although it has taken a few months for it to be established.

I have to say, although I don't let Sophie in the garden, is just as bad, when she escapes into the living room. She is now trained to go "Home".

i only have to walk into the other room and they come bombing thro expecting food.. i close the cage around them then :D

food is deffo the answer to bunnies and bed time

to begin with i used to walk behind them into their hutch area.. i didnt chase and be quick as arhtur thinks its a game and just starts binkying and playing up then everytime they went in they got their food(1 shot pellets and spring greens/veg other) and then i would click my fingers i used to say bedtime but they then wouldnt do it when tom tried as his voice is obviosuly different so now i click my fingers too and that works they now go running in. xx

my friend trained her buns to jump into their hutches by putting treats in their. Took a while but they now know the score and as soon as u go in, they jump into their hutches ready for their small treats :lol:

Thanks. Aimie-Lou thinks its a game all the time. Quite sweet really.
Yeah i did bunlover :D
I got her from a breeder, i saw both parents and where they were kept. :D
shes lovely.

Back