• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

post op advice needed please

kate_s

Warren Scout
Sorry to be asking for advice again but worried about Reggie. He's been castrated today and been home about an hour or so. He's sleepy and has not yet eaten although he had eaten in the vets prior to leaving. I need some advice about medication. The vet mentioned metacam this morning, i mentioned i had some at home still he said bring it with us when we collect and he will let us know. So my husband went to collect him minus the metacam :roll::roll::roll:and the nurse didn't mention it, she has given us meoxidyl 0.26 once a day, so i take it i'd be better using this? Any other tips for a speedy recovery, i feel so bad hope he forgives me:(:(:(

Coco was very active within a couple of hours :roll:, but he wasn't eating or drinking, we added some juice to his water which seemed to work and gave him the recovery mix (like crushed pellets mixed with water) through a pipet which he loved!

He had to keep a booster collar on for over a week to stop him chewing at his wound. We both slept downstairs the night of his op cos we were worrying about him getting cold or removing his collar! :lol: My friends think we are odd! :oops:

I'm sure they just make us worry i'm trying with all of his favourite foods but he's not having any i hope he picks up in the next couple of hours he looks so out of it and can't really move very well..come on Reggie

I think they do! Just keep trying different things, Coco would usually kill for his pellets but didn't touch them for a day or 2, the first thing he nibbled was some grapes chopped up. I'm not an expert but i know you have to make sure you keep them warm after anesthetic. Hope he perks up soon. x

Make sure you put a bowl of water near him as he may be too uncomfortable to get to a water bottle and will probably be thirsty after the op. Try to tempt him with some greens or herbs. My buns did not seem to start eating to about 3am in the morning after their ops. They were really drowsy too. I think it depends on what time they had their op too as to how awake they are. Keep him nice and warm and give him plenty of tlc and I am sure he will be livelier soon.Good luck.

water near him is a good idea, also greens like herbs or dandilions seem to go down well. Sometimes adding some warm water to pellets to make them mushy & putting them nearby also helps.

Thanks guys he looks a bit better started cleaning himself and had some water so fingers crossed x

Guys i've had no wee all night and only a couple of poos although he looks lively this morning and has eaten all his greens? Do i need to call the vets or just push the food and pray for poo?

Were his greens nice and wet? I tend to wash them so they are damp so they get moisture from that. You will probably find now he has eaten poos will follow.Keep temping him with tasty food so it gets his tummy working well. If you are still worried later ring your vets for advice. sounds good if he he is cleaning himself and there are some poos there.X

i've just checked him and i have loads of poo and some wee so looks good, Thanks for all your help looks like he going to be just fine:D
I don't know how rescues mange to get through this all the time its such a stressful time!

I know the first one I had neutered I was really worried, but I think the more times you go through it, you get to know what to expect. I think we are so worried they we are going to miss something and feel bad not getting them back to the vet.I think it so depends on when they have the op also. One of mine was done first thing so was quite awake when he came home. But my daughters wasn't done to about 3pm so when she picked him up the same night, he was so out of it, bless him. Also I think when they are in there waiting they probably don't eat much if anything cos of being stressed so their tummies must get really empty. So glad your bun is picking up.X

sorry all but still not happy...ok so he has been home for about 30 hours now and still not right loads of poo and wee this morning and now nothing again...well he must have wee'd about 7 but no movment since then and the only poo is left over soft ones (hmm i do know the name but can' spell) he seems to have developed a bit of an issue with his ears one particular he can't stop scratching it and then shaking his head does anyone have any idea? am i being paranoid or should i take him to see the vet? Post op is booked Sat

Back