• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Saturday afternoon out of hours fee £85 - is this excessive

jane2715

New Kit
I had to take my rabbits to a Vet24 on Saturday afternoon and the fee to look at him was £85 - does this seem excessive and they didn't seem very clued up on rabbits!!

i had to take my bunny the other week at 9.00pm,they charged £110.00 before they looked at him,he had to be PTS:cry::cry:.The bill was £179.00.

We paid £102 yesterday at the emergency vets & our bunny died there unexpectedly :cry: So I think £85 is probably a bit less than average :cry: I know it's a lot of money but sometimes, we just don't have a choice but to pay the out of hours fees. Hope your bun is ok x

Yep out of hours few years ago to put my bun to sleep was about £69 last year we were 2 mins out of hours and the fee just to look at bun was £94-96 (can't remember which one) then med on top of that. So you got a bargain although it doesn't seem it.
Bless you and bun least their at peace now

unfortunatly this is a normal amount for out of hours emergancy vet :( i would try and find one who is more clued up on bunnys tho as it treuly makes all the difference.x

blimey thats loads - the out of hours vets that i use is a £40 consultation fee plus any meds. I thought that was a lot till i read this, now it seems like a bit of a good deal.

my vets is open all day sat and sunday not sure what out of hours is charged at but we have a 24hrs number which is good if ever needed :)

i was warned how much they charged before we took alvin last year.. i think it was about £90 before he was even seen... they didnt claim direct with the insurance either and i had to pay £150 deposit and the rest when i picked him up the next day... £350 althogether :shock:

i was very lucky the vet was very rabbit Savvy and i would pay that fortune again just to see her, bit gutted i never found out her name and where she works when shes not on out of hours shifts :(... it was the vets now at the pdsa on the Hagley Rd where we went.

My vets do their own out of hours service ...I took Bonnie on a sunday morning just before Christmas,she was in stasis....the whole bill was £37 !!

They charged the same consult fee as usual which is £23 I think.

Thankfully my vets have Sat & Sun surgeries so the only real worry is if something goes wrong over night...especially as the PDSA center is on the otherside of the city completely. :(

My vets out of hours goes to the Vet College - out of hours was £50 at 9pm on a Saturday night (before student discount :D) so that seems to be a bit barginous compared to everyone else! i thought it would be more being a 2nd opinion referral hospital

Expensive isn't it? But what can you do if an animal needs a vet at the weekend. I've been in this situation with my old dog Monty and we managed to get him seen in St Helens. Some vets are open at a weekend and also there is the PDSA but again depends on areas.

Mine is open Saturday and Sunday morning, but out out of hours service is on the other side of Manchester which is a bit of a pain as I don't drive.

Back