• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Ear mite treatments?

gkf9

Warren Scout
Just wondered if anyone has used anything other than spot ons to get rid of mites?

Looks like the little :censored: have come back again, there's crusty stuff deep in Coco's ear and over the past few months he's had 2 courses of Xeno from the vets and 2 of Beaphar from P@H, presume some eggs must have been left and have spread again.

Seen a herbal drop solution, wondered if to try that before going to vets again, or if any one has any other recommendations? x

I'd like to know about this too, my bun has got Ear mites again for the 2nd time in a year. Thankfully her sister has never had it. Vet said she may be allergic to the straw, making her immune system very weak.

The vet has given her an injection, as i caught it early so all should be well, but he mentioned getting spoton, and doing a long course of it!

I work at a vets one day a week and they use a mite treatment that is for specifically for small animals. I can't remember the name tho :roll: bt i dont think it was called xeno. But its really effective because I have seen about 3 or 4 rabbits in the last couple of weeks cme in for mite treatment and it has cleared the mites up for all of them. The reatment i've seen used is a spot on bt there are lots of different ones and its a bottle so the vet applies at the time.

U said ur rabbit had the spot on for 2 courses bt depends how lng each course was. once a week for 3-4 weeks if its quite mild bt if ur rabbits has them quite badly then u would need a longer course. sorry rabbitin on here :p

av nt heard of any herbal treatments being used bt anythings worth a try, jst watch out for allergies if ur rabbit has any :)

al try and find the name of that spot on av seen used, if its xeno sorry :/ bt i dont think the name sounds familiar.

x

Last edited:
Thanks weewabbits. The Beaphar was just a couple of applications, but the Xeno was weekly for around a month but still must not have completely killed all the eggs.

Will see how I get on with the drops and maybe go back to vets and ask for injections rather than spot-on - which he is obsessed at trying to lick off! :roll:

Back