• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Getting a wee sample..

Jazzy B Bunny

Wise Old Thumper
Still have not managed to get a wee sample from Eclipse.. I really can't afford for him to spend the morning at the vets for them to do it, so any other methods I can use to get him to wee?
Obviously he has been urinating.. just not in the place that I want him too.

I guess you can't use the wee from outside the litter tray as its contaminated, wondering can you remove any bedding and cover the floor with say one of those pvc type tablecloths, lino, plastic tarpauline thing or something clean and waterproof and supervise until a wee appears?

Whenever I've had to do it with the cats I literally watch them all the time and have a saucer with me all the time...then when they go to squat I sneak up behind them and pop the saucer under once they have started...once they've started they don't seem to be able to stop! Don't know if the same technique would work with a bunny!

if you just had hay in the litter tray then took the sample right after they have peed youd get enough for a sample

good luck :D

We have used litter tray plastic beads and then used a pipette to get the sample. We get them from our vets. It works a treat but you have to get the sample to the vet almost straight after they have done it (depending on what the vets are testing for).

We put one of our rabbits in one of those cat carriers that is plastic coated wire all the way round and balanced this over an empty plastic litter tray. We had to keep her in there for a little while but she did go before too long, the wee was then sucked up with a pipette and put into the container the vets gave us.

Back