• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

can rabbits go out

hello, i just wanted to know if my bun and piggies can go out in the run, as they are outdoor ones and are gagging to get out for a good old run on the grass. is the weather tooo cold for them???

if anyone could let me know that would be great x :D

Have you got an old small hutch/hidey hole they can go in if they please to stay dry?
Saying that, they probably won't go in it, rather stay out in the rain :p
Yeah, rabbits should be fine, but i'd leave piggies until spring :)

Have you got an old small hutch/hidey hole they can go in if they please to stay dry?
Saying that, they probably won't go in it, rather stay out in the rain :p
Yeah, rabbits should be fine, but i'd leave piggies until spring :)

Thanks that helped alot x i think i will start putting the rabbit out as soon as it stops raining lol :p

Sure they can:3 Its far better than sitting in the hutch all day.
One of my buns have a run and hutch attached, and he spends much more time in the run, even if its freezing, windy and snow everywhere:D (He's a lionhead, so he's extra fluffy:D)
I've known rabbits to sit out in the rain too. Even if they have shelter:roll:

I tend to weather proof my runs, so in the summer they obviously are given shade, but in the winter they have corrugated plastic that goes on the lid so that they are sheltered. My ones have runs attached to their hutches, but when I put them out in their proper runs they are fully weather proofed.

In terms of pigs, I don't think they should go out unless its dry? I don't know much about pigs but read a thread on here recently that Elve put a load of useful info on and that seems to be the general gist, so they should only go out when it's dry, I think.

Yeah I might add too that I don't know about guinea pigs.
Norway is too cold for guinea pigs to be out in the winter anyway, they're all pretty much indoor pets.
Rabbits do fine however.

I tend to weather proof my runs, so in the summer they obviously are given shade, but in the winter they have corrugated plastic that goes on the lid so that they are sheltered. My ones have runs attached to their hutches, but when I put them out in their proper runs they are fully weather proofed.

In terms of pigs, I don't think they should go out unless its dry? I don't know much about pigs but read a thread on here recently that Elve put a load of useful info on and that seems to be the general gist, so they should only go out when it's dry, I think.

Can i see pics of your runs please:)

Can i see pics of your runs please:)

I'm nto showing them all because its pouring and I'd have to go and take pics, but I just took this one because they live right outside the patio doors at the mo.

20090125_5.jpg

It's a 5ft by 5ft run with a hutch inside (this is the most cobbled together accommodation though, lol). It has one half with tarpaulin over the top and down the side (but this will come off when the weather gets better) and the corrguated plastic sits on the top. The rest all look fairly similar, but this is on the only one with tarpualin because it is in the most exposed part, the others just have plastics and such.

Currently in it are three newly rebonded nethies.

*waits to be jumped on for something* I hate putting pictures on here, please be kind.

ETA, I just found another one of a different one. This is an 8ft by 4ft enclosure. It is sunny, but the lid was on for the purpose of demonstrating how to weather proof. There are no bunnies in here at the time though.

Random56Sweepsrun.jpg

Last edited:
:cry:
I'm nto showing them all because its pouring and I'd have to go and take pics, but I just took this one because they live right outside the patio doors at the mo.

20090125_5.jpg

It's a 5ft by 5ft run with a hutch inside (this is the most cobbled together accommodation though, lol). It has one half with tarpaulin over the top and down the side (but this will come off when the weather gets better) and the corrguated plastic sits on the top. The rest all look fairly similar, but this is on the only one with tarpualin because it is in the most exposed part, the others just have plastics and such.

Currently in it are three newly rebonded nethies.

*waits to be jumped on for something* I hate putting pictures on here, please be kind.

Last edited:
Thanks for the pics, i think i am going to do what u have and weather proof my run, Thanks and love your lil netherlands i had a netherland dwarf a black one, but unfortunately she had to be put to sleep in august due to myxy :cry: she was my gorgeous lil affectionate baby :cry: miss her loads

I'm sorry about your bun. I think nethies do rock though. I have several (13, lol) and they are absolutely hilarious. I'm so glad your life was touched by a nethie, but I am veyr sorry you lost her prematurely.

Yup, hey all are on a slope. Even with this torrential rain we have had they runs have stayed dry, which is perfect. I just use wood underneath the plastic to prop it up a bit. Works a treat.

One of my buns have a run and hutch attached, and he spends much more time in the run, even if its freezing, windy and snow everywhere:D (He's a lionhead, so he's extra fluffy:D)
I've known rabbits to sit out in the rain too. Even if they have shelter:roll:[

but it is ok for rabbits to go out when its wet?? on the damp grass??

Mine go on concrete. You can give them lots of places to sit that are dry if you want to put them on the wet grass. If you keep the plastic on the run all the time (even when the buns are not in it) it will protect the floor to a certain extent. I personally would not put a bunny on soaking grass, but then I'm hypervigilant. They have been on damp, drying grass though.

Rabbit can go on damp grass, but if it's a muddy bog, I wouldn't. Do you have any concrete to put the run on?

yes i have a patio area which he can go on but i would like to put him on the grass as he has never been on the grass b4, and i think he would love being on the grass :love:

my rabbits are out in all weathers! At the mo, Bugs & Star have the free run of the garden but they have access to the hutch in the shed *but* they much prefer to be out in all the wind and rain! The babies I haven't let out in the rain but Smudge my original bun left from the first litter has a hutch with the run attached and 9/10 times she too will sit in the rain/wind rather than shelter in the hutch!

mad bun's!!

I've known rabbits to sit out in the rain too. Even if they have shelter:roll:[

must be something about lionheads? Mine are lionheads too and they love the cold wind and rain! mad bun's!

Back