• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Loss of my bunny

Goldiebunny

New Kit
I am not sure if this post should be in this topic but didn't know where else to post it.

I have two bunnies, Scampi and Fudge, and had to take the extremely difficult decision yesterday to have Scampi put to sleep as he has had ongoing intestinal problems and I feel that he was suffering too much. I bought the body home and left him with Fudge so that she knew he had gone and he is now back with the vet to be cremated.

I am just not sure whether to clean the hutch yet or whether to leave it for a few days so that the smells of Scampi are still about or whether to get rid of all Scampi smells. Has anyone ever lost a bonded rabbit and if so how did you go about this situation?

I am devastated that I had to make the decision, I feel so guilty and that maybe I took his life away too soon but I couldn't see him hospitalised for another week as he was a couple of months ago only for him to get ill again in another month or so.

I am also not sure what to do about Fudge as she is obviously grieving. I am not sure I am strong enough to keep her without Scampi but it wouldn't be fair to give her back to the RSPCA where I got them from when she is grieving and needs her "things" around her in a home she has had for the last year.

Any advice would be gratefully received.

I am not sure if this post should be in this topic but didn't know where else to post it.

I have two bunnies, Scampi and Fudge, and had to take the extremely difficult decision yesterday to have Scampi put to sleep as he has had ongoing intestinal problems and I feel that he was suffering too much. I bought the body home and left him with Fudge so that she knew he had gone and he is now back with the vet to be cremated.

I am just not sure whether to clean the hutch yet or whether to leave it for a few days so that the smells of Scampi are still about or whether to get rid of all Scampi smells. Has anyone ever lost a bonded rabbit and if so how did you go about this situation?

I am devastated that I had to make the decision, I feel so guilty and that maybe I took his life away too soon but I couldn't see him hospitalised for another week as he was a couple of months ago only for him to get ill again in another month or so.

I am also not sure what to do about Fudge as she is obviously grieving. I am not sure I am strong enough to keep her without Scampi but it wouldn't be fair to give her back to the RSPCA where I got them from when she is grieving and needs her "things" around her in a home she has had for the last year.

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Firstly, i am so sorry for your loss of Scampi :(
Why not try popping along to the RSPCA again with Fudge so that she can pick another bunny husbun?

I have just had this problem also after losing Lily, Charlie is now on his own:(.
I left the shed a couple of days before cleaning out, i got a teddy and rubbed it all over i.e litter tray and on their bedding thinking it might smell of her. He seems ok now but it is just over a week ago. I dont feel like i want another rabbit yet though:(

I have just had this problem also after losing Lily, Charlie is now on his own:(.
I left the shed a couple of days before cleaning out, i got a teddy and rubbed it all over i.e litter tray and on their bedding thinking it might smell of her. He seems ok now but it is just over a week ago. I dont feel like i want another rabbit yet though:(

Thanks to everyone for your comments. Unalakey, sorry to hear of your loss of Lily. It's difficult to know what to do for the best isn't it. Fudge is not happy (obviously as she has lost her friend) and is sitting where I left scampi's body yesterday for her to say goodbye. I feel extremely guilty for ending his life even though I know it was the kindest thing to do for him. :cry: I think it would have been easier to cope with if he'd had passed away naturally however he would have died in pain and I couldn't let that happen.

I will leave it for a week or so before making a decision what to do but I know that I can't keep her on her own as I don't have enough time to spend with her and she will be so lonely. My choices are rehome her or try and bond her with another bunny. Just not feeling strong enough to get another bunny at the moment but it's still raw so won't rush into making a decision.

Bless least not suffering and you made a good decision you didnt take it lightly and the fact you feel bad means you genually love your bun, it was for buns best interest and they will be grateful for it.
It was good bringing the body home to show bun as now they know that buns died and you didnt just get rid (buns point of view) bun isnt stupid and understands entirely what has happened! Lots of cuddles needed and just sit and talk to bunny about their friend - believe me they listen and understand every word you say.
I would wait and see obv over time as it will take bun a while just like us humans to accept a loss, they may want a friend straight away or to have gap to have their time you'll know best!
If you have read my posts then you will know I believe life does go on- I myself have proof in my eyes, dont want to offend if you dont but your bun will always be very near and you may even hear,see or smell them or perhaps see your other bunny playing with somebun (ours do, a past bunny I had, I have saw and hear as do others who come to ours I wrote about her in Not just a Rabbit.)
love with you xx

So sorry to hear of your loss:(.Daisy and I were both with Fluffy when he died and as it was nothing infectious/contagious I left the hutch for a day or so.We then gave Daisy extra cuddles and spent more time with her,when we felt the time was right we went about finding another husbunny for her.You also need time to grieve.Sending love and noserubs to Fudge:love:

Rabbit can get emotional stress from losing a companion. So with the bonding of a companion, you need to look around in one of the rescue centers in your area, and get him a new bunny companion.

Get yourself a rehome bun in your area, many rabbits are waiting for months in a small living area inside a rescue center, waiting for a good
home.

here's a list of rescue center in UK

http://www.rabbitrehome.org.uk/centres.asp

or go to the Rabbit In NEED section and see who's available

Or post in the rabbit in need section, many members w/ rescue centers will response to you

So sorry for your loss.

I'm sorry for your loss (and Fudge's too). Please don't make any quick decisions about giving her back to the RSPCA wile you are still so upset. There are so many unwanted rabbits out there. The finest memorial you could give to Scampi is rehoming another unwanted rabbit for you and Fudge and love him just like you did Scampi. I'm sure that's what he'd want you to do and most rescue centres will help you with the bonding process when you find the right bunny.

I'm so sorry for your loss. I've only lost guineas and did get a pal straight away but I feel that is different to bunnies. They need time to grieve and I would give your bunny that time. I wouldn't send her back to the RSPCA she will buck up she just needs time.

Good luck whatever you decide, don't make any rash decisions though, emotions are raw right now.

Louise

Back