• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Change in where he poos

Hayley87

New Kit

My rabbit is 8+1/2 years old and is an outdoor rabbit. He has a hutch with 2 compartments and a large run. He has always pooed in the hutch, making it easy to clear up. However he's now pooing outside in the run, which is ruining the garden and also makes it really hard to clear up. I'm assuming that he now poos in the run so that he can snuggle up in the hutch as its colder at the moment and as he's getting older, so I'm not particularly troubled by the change of behaviour however as it's ruining the grass is there any way I can get him to poo in the hutch again?

I would try putting a few of his poos from the garden to where he usually went in the hutch and this might get the point across to him to go where he used to again. I did this with one of my buns and it worked so worth a try. Good luck!

Do you know where he spends most of his time? I'f its in the run then maybe it is too much of a struggle to get back into his hutch (if he has a ramp, or similar). Maybe he has arthritis or something like that if that is the case. How is he in himself?

Have you tried giving him a litter tray downstairs? That would make it easier to clean, and he is then going where he wants.

Back