• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Happy hutch, what problems? plus garage move question

lisa82

Mama Doe
I'm thinking of getting a HH hutch/run combo to be housed in the garage with their other run on the grass for nice days under supervision.

I know there have been a few probs with HH recently and people saying that they are needing some work after a year etc, are these problems mainly due to weather or am I likely to have problems with it in a garage?

Also, their indoor room now is completely unheated (I think they have developed winter coats as it gets very cold in there!), and we're planning to get some electricity running to the garage for lights and possibly a heater too. Do you think it would be ok to start moving them out in a month or so? I know that is too early for proper indoor to outdoor moving?

Sorry, I don't have a HH so I can't really offer any advice, but I thought I'd post and bump this back up to the top anyway - hopefully someone who can help will see it then! :wave:

I have two HH's but they are outside. I have been really happy with them, they were dead easy to put together. However i've only had them since September.

The only thing is the plywood partition and the underside of the roof have got a bit mouldy, so I regularly milton them. When the better weather comes, I will probably treat these inside bits to stop the mould. Or maybe look at putting some better roof felt on them.

If you are going to put them in a garage, I doubt you will experience these problems at all, so I say go for it.

HTH

Kerina
x

I have two HH's but they are outside. I have been really happy with them, they were dead easy to put together. However i've only had them since September.

The only thing is the plywood partition and the underside of the roof have got a bit mouldy, so I regularly milton them. When the better weather comes, I will probably treat these inside bits to stop the mould. Or maybe look at putting some better roof felt on them.

If you are going to put them in a garage, I doubt you will experience these problems at all, so I say go for it.

HTH

Kerina
x

Thanks for that, I keep listening to the buns chucking their carrier around their room and thinking they can be as noisy as they like in the garage! :)

The only problem I had with mine so far was a bit of leaking through the tongue and groove sides in heavy rain - that's been solved with a few coats of woodstain though & is obviously not a problem for use indoors. ;);)

We had to line the walls inside with plywood to stop the buns chewing the wooden battens around the bottom, but that would be a problem with pretty much any hutch tbh.

Overall, I think it's good value for the price. :)

Back