• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

When?

Tiffstar

New Kit
When can I start giving Molly fruit and veg? She's about 2 and a half months old. I gave her a tiny piece of carrot today, which she liked a lot.
Also, I have a bedding dilemma, as she eats her hay, sawdust/wood shavigs stick to her fur (which I hate) and I don't know where I can find any straw.
Suggestions?

:wave:
In terms of bedding, you can just use a bed of hay for her - shavings are horrible things. I use wooden litter pellets in litter trays. Some people use megazorb, or carefresh - can you get hold of those?

It's fine that she's eating her bedding hay - mine much prefer to sit in it and munch! You could give her a hay rack if you prefer (although mine sit in the hay racks too!) and this would keep the hay cleaner.

For veg, I guess you can start giving small amounts now, to get her tummy used to them. Green leafy veg are best, like spring greens. What sort of bunny is she? (and do you have any pics ;)?)

:wave:
In terms of bedding, you can just use a bed of hay for her - shavings are horrible things. I use wooden litter pellets in litter trays. Some people use megazorb, or carefresh - can you get hold of those?

It's fine that she's eating her bedding hay - mine much prefer to sit in it and munch! You could give her a hay rack if you prefer (although mine sit in the hay racks too!) and this would keep the hay cleaner.

For veg, I guess you can start giving small amounts now, to get her tummy used to them. Green leafy veg are best, like spring greens. What sort of bunny is she? (and do you have any pics ;)?)

I second this.
Has she got a wet bum by any chance?
Due to wood shaving shortage i'm using megazorb at the moment which apparently is supposed to be very good :)
Ghostie is a funny bunny, she will go into her wee corner and eat the hay in there while she's going to the toilet, even though she's right beside her yummy hay rack with a blend of grass and forage!
Another option you can use it vetbed. You could put a lining of newspaper down and cover the hutch in this (or a rug/carpet etc) and then give him/her a litter tray to use, full of hay, so that she can do her business in there and eat the yummy hay from it :) This would need to be emptied everyday though, with fresh hay :)

OK. The only real problem with the hay is that I have to replace it every morning, evening, etc. as she eats A LOT.
She's I think a cross between an English Lop and something else.
I'll post pics as soon as possible - My camera doesn't work...

That's excellent if she's eating lots and lots of hay - that's a healthy bunny! I fill the 3 litter trays and 2 wicker waste baskets full of hay every morning for my two dwarf lops and they've usually eaten 80% of it by morning.

I just have vinyl flooring down and litter trays for my two. Makes cleaning much easier and Frank used to throw his shavings in the corner and lie on the wooden floor of the hutch he came in anyway.

If you have the room to keep it dry and a local farm, think of getting a bale of meadow hay as it's far cheaper and better quality than most shop bought hay.

Introduce veg very slowly and start with leafy greens like spring greens and savoy cabbage. NEVER give lettuce, especially iceberg.

Ogs has sawdust in his hucth and then rugs and mat in the run - i knwo what you mean about the sawdust - its gets everywhere :lol:

Mine get fresh hay morning and evening, when I go to feed them. I don't put huge amounts in at a time (a couple of large handfuls) as they only stomp it all over the place.
It's really important that they eat lots of hay, so she must be a healthy bunny.

i just use hay and newspaper for my buns as she to young to be neutered you may find she goes to the loo everywhere once neutered they normaly settle to one particular area making it easier for cleaning 2 of mine just go to the loo dowstairs so i clean that everyday and the bedding bit once a week just top it up everyday
its very good shes eating lots of hay, you could try going on the hayexperts site as they have various hays for you buns to try i use it as treat hay
as others have said small amounts of veg first there is a list of safe veg and not safe veg here somewhere i started my babies i had from 5 weeks on tiny amounts of veg i only give veg 3 to 4 times a week and i vary it so they dont get bored
just watch the poos big poos are healthy small poos or runny ones are not

Back