• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Two strange conversations

lottielouise

Wise Old Thumper
Before starting this I must comment I am really shy with people I have never met before, and really have difficulty holding a conversation.

I went into P@H. The man with no name has decide that he doesn't like A&P. Anyway they had a giant butterfly rabbit (nearly dropped down at the price) and a lady was enquiring with one of the staff, asking how old it was, Looked a bit big for the 10 weeks he claimed, but then I don't see many giants.

Anyway got talking to the couple as P@H man realised they wern't really that interested. Gave them the usual about neutering bonding, how long they live etc, and they seemed really interested in what I had to say. They were amazed that it would grow to the size of their dog that was accompaning them. I was so proud of myself, and it gave me the confidence to actually say something today.

We were out looking for fish today (yey!) we tried the new 'fish shop' which turned out to be a pet shop, and it was crammed with all imaginable animals. from fish and iggys to snakes rats birds and Rabbits and guineapigs :(

The rabbit and guinea pigs looked clean and well cared for, however, I was concerned that 1) it had been chewing the wood, which obviously was just normal wood paint.2) that the only access to water was full of hay 3) the cages they sold were tiny. So I went to talk to the girl behind the counter. She just seemed so disinterested in what I had to say "Yeah Ive worked in pet shops before" I know what to do. Turns out the rabbit had chewed through its water bottle. Are you surprised! HE had no company, not toys. It had had company, but SHE was sold (there is a few more for Elaine to take care of!!) On the case of the hutches, I explained that I bought my double 5ft'er for less than they were charging for their tiny hutches. "yeah but thats what people want to buy" I just walked off, just obviously just didn't want to listen!!

I think I may write a letter to the boss though!

In the mean time my OH and MIL were dying of embarassment in the car!!!

:thumb: Well done you :D Keep it up - not everyone will listen but it's worth it for the ones that do...and you never know, your comments to the un-listener might turn into a dripping tap.

I would be inclined to write to the boss about their hutches, stating that the animal welfare act requires that animals are kept in suitable accommodation - and that the RWA recommend 6*2*2 therefore they could technically be deemed to be selling products not fit for purpose.

OK it's a little bit disingenuous but hey ho :lol:

Ok Ive tried rally hard with this letter, could someone check it over. And I need an ending for it too.

Dear Manager,

I am writing to you as I am concerned the rabbit/s you are selling. I recently spent time in your shop and I have to say I was rather concerned about the conditions the rabbit was in and the hutches you have in stock to accommodate your small animals once out of your care.

I notice that your rabbit was without a water bottle, instead it has a water bowl, which, at the time of visiting was contaminated with hay. A rabbit must have access to clean fresh water at all times. On speaking to the assistant at the time, she explained the rabbit had chewed through the bottle. I explained that this was due to boredom, and that toys should be provided, as he currently has no company of his own kind.

I also noticed that you do not separate your small animals into male and females, only into rabbits and guinea pigs, this encourages breeding, and could cause problems in the future for you, as you are the one instigating the problem in the first place. Due to this you will be responsible for providing accommodation at your own expense for the offspring.

In regard to the hutches you are selling they are far too small. The Animal Welfare Act of 2006 requires animals to be housed in suitable accommodation, where they can express natural behaviours. For a rabbit natural behaviours include going up onto its hind legs without hitting its head on the roof, being able to do three, unrestricted hops consecutively and being able to lie stretched out full length. For these reasons the Rabbit Welfare Association recommends that a hutch is the minimum 6ftx2ftx2ft for one pair of rabbits with access to a run for 8 hours a day. These are also the minimum requirements that the RSPCA use. Therefore the products you are currently selling as rabbit hutches could be deemed not fit for purpose under the Sales of Goods Act.

Well done..

I was in P@H today and felt very sorry for the rabbits.... it was so busy with it being national rabbit week, and seeing them being sold off with nero 3 cages just upset me.

I had a conversation with one member of staff about orandas.....I was saying how I needed a much bigger tank than 60 litres as my orandas could grow to be huge, she told me 'they will only grow to the size of the tank' :roll:

I politely said 'yes, but that will cause stunting of the fish and while it's body will stop growing, it's internal organs won't and it will cause premature death for the fish'. She just said 'oh' and walked off.... So later I heads off to the till where the said employee was discussing this with the assistant manager, more or less saying how incorrect I was, the AM was ranting and raving about how much of a myth it was and there's no way it would cause the oranda to die...

of course, the employee's face dropped when she saw me coming at the till but wasn't able to say anything to the AM as I was standing right there, so I heard everything she said :lol:

Needless to say I put a complaint in. This is the same store where one member of staff told me that you 'can't bond rabbits if they are not from the same litter' :roll:

Our local Pets at Home told me that the rat cage I was looking at for my Syrian hamster, would be much too big and the hamster wouldn't be happy with all that space :shock:

Our local Pets at Home told me that the rat cage I was looking at for my Syrian hamster, would be much too big and the hamster wouldn't be happy with all that space :shock:
:shock::shock:

My syrian has a rat cage and she loves it! there isn't an inch wasted!

Back