• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Poor Honey - Eye duct definately blocked

Hello
Well, my poor little girls eye is definately blocked.
She has been to the vets 3 times this week.
Tues - flushed and given more drops and asked to go back Friday.

Friday - FLushed again. I was asked to leave her there overnight:shock::shock:
I don;t know why as they weren;t going to treat her until the following morning!!!

Saturday morning (today) - I got a call from the vet to say that they had flushed the eye and still no joy. It is permently blocked due to teeth roots.

Here is the wording for the actions Today:

Flush tear duct Rabbit (inc cannula)add
Examination - Rt duct flushes o.k. Left Duct can easily get cathetain ouncta but duct completley blocked.
Plan - systemic AB and cont Tiacil
Baytril 2.5% Oral solution dispensed 20ml bottle (give 1ml twice daily)

Her little eye was so sore when I collected her!!

Has anyone else got a rabbit with this problem and how do you keep your rabbit comfortable wth it?

Oh also, I was advised to put Sudocrem around the outside of the eye.

Last edited:
My bun Hoppy had it. It had flare ups in the summer and needed treatment, but most of the time it didn't bother him too much. Good luck with Honey :wave:

Hey so sorry to hear its root problems! as i said on your last thread i have 2 buns with the same problem and vet said there is nothing he can do but i clean their eyes everyday with water and i add vaseline to undereye which helps stop the skin burning!
They will be getting bonded soon and i was told they will keep each others eye clean so i dont have to clean eveyday!

I dont know if there is something that can be done, but hopefully someone will come along with more info as i would like to find out if anything can be done!

Hope her eye feels better soon :D:D

Hey so sorry to hear its root problems! as i said on your last thread i have 2 buns with the same problem and vet said there is nothing he can do but i clean their eyes everyday with water and i add vaseline to undereye which helps stop the skin burning!
They will be getting bonded soon and i was told they will keep each others eye clean so i dont have to clean eveyday!

I dont know if there is something that can be done, but hopefully someone will come along with more info as i would like to find out if anything can be done!

Hope her eye feels better soon :D:D

Thanks for your prompt replies.
I feel so sorry for her, especially today. You could really see they had a good go at it, and 3 times in 5 days for Gods sake. Each time a different vet.

I hope she will be o.k

Also, if its the teeth roots that are causing the problem, wouldn;t you think they would look into that as well?

Thanks for your prompt replies.
I feel so sorry for her, especially today. You could really see they had a good go at it, and 3 times in 5 days for Gods sake. Each time a different vet.

I hope she will be o.k

Also, if its the teeth roots that are causing the problem, wouldn;t you think they would look into that as well?

Did they take Xrays ?

Did they take Xrays ?

Hi Jane - I knew you'd come to my rescue!!!

I asked when I collected her if they had done X-rays and guess what??? No.
I have just spoken to my husband and said, I'm sure she has problems with her teeth too.

I feel like we have been rather neglected this week.
DO you think I should insist on an x-ray?
If I do, what are the things they should be looking for and would anything they find resolve the eye problem.
I don't mind the cost f things (we're not wealthy BTW, it's just that the buns are our priority).
I would rather know if it's worth persuing, for Honeys benefit.

Thanks in advance Jane.

An Xray would probably show which tooth roots are causing the problem. If indeed it is a tooth root problem. It could be that Honey had an infection for sometime whilst in the Petshop and consequently the duct has become scared and thickened, blocking it.
I dont see how the Vet can say its tooth roots without doing an Xray :?

If it were tooth roots then treatment options would depend on which teeth were involved. If it were the molars then it may just be a case of managing the problem as molar extraction is major surgery and not something I would want to contemplate lightly. Incisor extraction is less of a problem.

As Honey is still very young I am not sure I'd accept the tooth root elongation diagnosis without an evidence from an Xray :?

Perhaps you could get the Xray done when she is spayed ? That way it'd be just the one GA. There may not be any more treatment options other than what you are doing. But I think I'd want the Xray done just so as I knew what I was dealing with.

xx

An Xray would probably show which tooth roots are causing the problem. If indeed it is a tooth root problem. It could be that Honey had an infection for sometime whilst in the Petshop and consequently the duct has become scared and thickened, blocking it.
I dont see how the Vet can say its tooth roots without doing an Xray :?

If it were tooth roots then treatment options would depend on which teeth were involved. If it were the molars then it may just be a case of managing the problem as molar extraction is major surgery and not something I would want to contemplate lightly. Incisor extraction is less of a problem.

As Honey is still very young I am not sure I'd accept the tooth root elongation diagnosis without an evidence from an Xray :?

Perhaps you could get the Xray done when she is spayed ? That way it'd be just the one GA. There may not be any more treatment options other than what you are doing. But I think I'd want the Xray done just so as I knew what I was dealing with.

xx

Thanks Jane - I think I WILL ASK FOR AN X-RAY when she's spayed. I'd like to know the full story too.
Maybe there is nothing we can do for her, but if there is, then I think we should do whatever we can for her.

Many thanks again Jane and BTW good to see Dermots on the mend.:)

Thank you :)

I hope Honey's eye becomes less sore and inflammed very soon.

xx

Thanks Jane - me too.

Just thought - they said they want to have a look at her again in 10 days!!
Why would they say that if it is a long term problem. DO you think they have other options, or are they just going to keep giving her Baytril? Seems strange? Perhaps there is an alternative to Baytril - something stronger perhaps?

I'm losing faith with these vets!! Rapidly. They're very nice, but why 3 flushes and tell me it's a lifelong thing and then want to see her again in 10 days?

:?:?:?

I had a bun with the same problem. The vet tried flushing the tear duct but couldn't and said it was blocked. She kept getting infections because of it but they just gave me eye drops and said there was nothing more they could do :( She was only young but had tooth root problems so it was put down to that.

Her eye kept getting worse so I took her to a different vet who was very patient and managed to flush her tear duct by massaging the area whilst trying to flush it :) I stayed with that vet and whenever her tear duct started to block up again she would get it flushed and was put on Tiacil drops. She was also given metacam for the inflammation and eventually was switched onto Maxitrol drops which contains a steroid. They worked really well to reduce the inflammation in her tear duct which helped widen it a bit more.

I had a bun with the same problem. The vet tried flushing the tear duct but couldn't and said it was blocked. She kept getting infections because of it but they just gave me eye drops and said there was nothing more they could do :( She was only young but had tooth root problems so it was put down to that.

Her eye kept getting worse so I took her to a different vet who was very patient and managed to flush her tear duct by massaging the area whilst trying to flush it :) I stayed with that vet and whenever her tear duct started to block up again she would get it flushed and was put on Tiacil drops. She was also given metacam for the inflammation and eventually was switched onto Maxitrol drops which contains a steroid. They worked really well to reduce the inflammation in her tear duct which helped widen it a bit more.

Thanks for your reply
It sounds like I need to persue this a bit further and insist they look at the teeth properly and get the correct meds to prevent infection and pain

Thanks again

Thanks Jane - me too.

Just thought - they said they want to have a look at her again in 10 days!!
Why would they say that if it is a long term problem. DO you think they have other options, or are they just going to keep giving her Baytril? Seems strange? Perhaps there is an alternative to Baytril - something stronger perhaps?

I'm losing faith with these vets!! Rapidly. They're very nice, but why 3 flushes and tell me it's a lifelong thing and then want to see her again in 10 days?

:?:?:?

I think it is good that they want to keep a check on her :)
There are other abx that can be tried, but they may not resolve the full problem ie the blocked duct. They may be better at clearing up the infection though.

I would discuss the Xray option, see what that reveals and take it from there.
If her tooth roots are already elongated (she is very young after all) then its likely she will have lifelong Dental problems and its better to know sooner rather than later. Regular Dentals can help reduce the rate of root elongation, but probably wont actually stop it. Obviously a good hay based diet and access to sunshine (if we ever have any!!) will be important too.

Back