• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

can u house a rabbit in a cage where a rabbit has had myxy?

hi, i was wondering if anybody could help me?

i recently rehomed my friends lop eared rabbit, and was wondering if it would be ok to put him in a hutch that recently had an infected rabbit housed in it (Aug)

i would be very grateful if someone could give me some info as i dont want to put him in there and he catchs the myxy virus :(

I would not re-use a hutch that was used by a Rabbit known to have Myxomatosis or VHD. I would destroy the hutch

Is your new Rabbit vaccinated ?

Is it a wooden hutch? If so I would destroy it as there are nooks and crannies and the wood can keep moisture in it etc.

If it is a plastic cage then you should be able to sterilise it with very strong chemicals and then rinse it down.

Is it a wooden hutch? If so I would destroy it as there are nooks and crannies and the wood can keep moisture in it etc.

If it is a plastic cage then you should be able to sterilise it with very strong chemicals and then rinse it down.

Thank you for your info, it is much appreciated, thanks :)

Last edited:
i believe myxi to be caught by biting insects so i would thouroughly disinfect teh hutch first but still re use it if it was a good hutch personally. if it had been vhd tho i would through it as its contracted through varying methods. just my opinoin x

I would not re-use a hutch that was used by a Rabbit known to have Myxomatosis or VHD. I would destroy the hutch

Is your new Rabbit vaccinated ?

Thanks for the info, i really appreciate it, and no he isnt vaccinated yet but my other rabbit was vaccinated and still got myxy?

i believe myxi to be caught by biting insects so i would thouroughly disinfect teh hutch first but still re use it if it was a good hutch personally. if it had been vhd tho i would through it as its contracted through varying methods. just my opinoin x

Thanks sooo much for the info, much appreciated and i dont think i am going to use it, don't want to risk it. Thanks again :)

the differnece is a vaccinated rabbit who gets myxi if caugth early with good vet treatment can often pull through as tehy get the nodualr form of the myxi rather than full blown. where as a rabbit without the vaccination will in al llikely hood have to be put down. i had a rabbit chelsea(still have her) who age 10yrs had myxi she was vaccs(adn rememebr do it every 6 months) and pulled through after several gruelling months adn is fine now..x

the differnece is a vaccinated rabbit who gets myxi if caugth early with good vet treatment can often pull through as tehy get the nodualr form of the myxi rather than full blown. where as a rabbit without the vaccination will in al llikely hood have to be put down. i had a rabbit chelsea(still have her) who age 10yrs had myxi she was vaccs(adn rememebr do it every 6 months) and pulled through after several gruelling months adn is fine now..x

thats a miracle as i heard that no rabbit survives myxy, thats what the vet told me when i took bubbles and she had to be put to sleep :( its soo upsetting getting a pet put down but i thought it was for the best as she was suffering, then after i got told she had nodular myxy and prob would have survived, it made me feel very bad :(

That's so sad. My rex survived nodular myxi(vaccinated twice a year) two years running.Try not to feel so bad about having your bun pts as you acted on what you thought was good advice at the time. Having said that, it may have been that your bun was unable to fit the nod myxi and that's why the vet advised you the way he did.

That's so sad. My rex survived nodular myxi(vaccinated twice a year) two years running.Try not to feel so bad about having your bun pts as you acted on what you thought was good advice at the time. Having said that, it may have been that your bun was unable to fit the nod myxi and that's why the vet advised you the way he did.

Thanks, yer it was very upsetting and it took me a couple of weeks to get over it, but now i have another rabbit and hopefull once he's had he's jabs in may he will live a long and very happy life (hopefully). i live in a high risk area and was wondeing if may would be the right time to get barney jabbed as he has never had jabs b4 with hes previous owner??? x :)
and sorry to hear about your rabbit having it twice he must be a very special rabbit to overcome it twice. well thank you

Last edited:
Back