• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Ideal Weight?

Isis

Mama Doe
I've just weighed Wispa, and he weighs 6lb. Is that a good weight for a Lionhead at 6 months?

thats about 2.75kg.

I would have thought that for a pure bread lionhead that a bit overweight as I think they are supposed to be under 2kg & are a small bread but it's hard to say as he may be mixed with a larger bun. My dwarf lop sooty weights about that & is a big bun.

Its' not very easy to say because even within the breed you get variances on weight, and the recognised weight is just a show weight, not indicative of breed. An example being I have a purebred nethie who is twice the show weight, but is actually a very healthy weight for his size. You are better off determining it for yourself (or asking a vet to). You can tell by feeling the spine and how boney it is. That's not very helpful because I don't quite know how to describe what I mean, lol. Hopefully someone else will.

This size. You are better off determining it for yourself (or asking a vet to). You can tell by feeling the spine and how boney it is. That's not very helpful because I don't quite know how to describe what I mean, lol. Hopefully someone else will.

if it feels sharp then too skinny, if you can hardly feel it at all then to fat. You should also be able to feel the ribs without having a dig, but again they should not feel like running your hands down a xylophone.

I've just weighed Wispa, and he weighs 6lb. Is that a good weight for a Lionhead at 6 months?

Toffee weighs 2.25kg and the vet says the average is 2kg-2.5kg, but Toffee does get ALOT of exercise.
Personally i'd say that's a bit heavy for a babee purebred. Has Wispa a little bit of a mixed breed?

As far as I know he is pure breed, he might have something else mixed in with him, I really don't know. He does seem really big for his age, not fat. I can feel ribs, but don't stick out a lot to think he is skinny. When I say 6 months, that is really a guess, I'm not 100% sure. Might be closer to 7 months.

Here are a few recent pictures I have taken:
photo0028xp2.jpg

photo0032ezs0.jpg

ooh he looks like jessicarabbit's Eric and Ernie!!
Sorry thats no help with the weight qu, unfortunately i'm not sure about that!

He's a beauty. To me he doesn't look too skinny, but that is based only on what the photos show, and photos can be deceptive. He could stand to put on a bit of weight and he would still be healthy, but he needs to not lose any because that could put him underweight.

Lionhead carry the dwarfing gene so he can be purebred but not have the dwarfing gene, so making him bigger than show quality, but still pure bred. Just go by him :) When you next take him to the vets you can ask if he is a good weight.

Back