• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

those of you who keep money instead of having insurance..

donnamt

Wise Old Thumper
how much do you keep aside for emergency rabbit treatment? if you dont mind telling ofcourse...:oops:

im looking to cancel my insurance for the buns and keeping the money instead towards vets stuff but i have no idea how much i should start with in my bank just incase

I have a tin that I chuck money into regularly. I like to keep it around £250 to cover an emergency, but I'd just use other savings if it was more.

I guess as you've had experience of stasis you know what your vet costs would be for another bout so I'd make sure I'd got at least enough to cover that sort of emergency, plus some.

I started by putting away all my overtime each month which was usually £800 - £1,000 and then about £300 of my actual wage each month too. And I put in £3,000 bonus in last year and the year before I think I put £2,000

Umm that was a couple of years ago now I started doing that, and at my new work I don't have to work overtime :D :D :D Since I started my new job last summer I have been putting in what money I haven't spent at the end of the month so it might be £50 or it might be £400 it just depends, and when I move and am living by myself I will put in about £100 a month. I wouldn't have as much saved as I do if my old work hadn't of made me do so much overtime though :shock: :lol:

Thats for my cat and rats too though, and the rats have been really expensive at the vets

I just insured Buu, Trip and Scarlett a couple of weeks ago though x

I started by putting away all my overtime each month which was usually £800 - £1,000 and then about £300 of my actual wage each month too. And I put in £3,000 bonus in last year and the year before I think I put £2,000

Umm that was a couple of years ago now I started doing that, and at my new work I don't have to work overtime :D :D :D Since I started my new job last summer I have been putting in what money I haven't spent at the end of the month so it might be £50 or it might be £400 it just depends, and when I move and am living by myself I will put in about £100 a month. I wouldn't have as much saved as I do if my old work hadn't of made me do so much overtime though :shock: :lol:

Thats for my cat and rats too though, and the rats have been really expensive at the vets

I just insured Buu, Trip and Scarlett a couple of weeks ago though x

:shock::shock::shock: my god you must be minted :lol::lol:

i am thinking ill start with about £750 but im scared it wont be enough...Alvins stasis cost £350 and was paid for but i still had to pay the excess hopefully my company wont fold and my new reduced salary will be over soon but im wasting £15 a month on the what if's instead of using that money for vaccinations etc

credit cards are out too.. ive had my accounts frozen because ive told them i may get into trouble in the next few months :censored: didnt even give me a chance to see if i miss payments before they started threatening me with defualts and bad credit rating :evil::evil::evil:

I just started off by putting the money I'd normally spend on monthly insurance premiums into a savings account instead (bear in mind this was for my dogs and my rabbits so I was spending around £40 a month on insurance). In the first year, I had to make sure I had other savings or a credit card available, just in case. But fortunately, I've never needed to dip into it and I've now got around £3000 in there. But the credit cards would be maxed-out if necessary, should I have insufficient funds in the savings account to cover any treatment. And I never use the account for rountine things like vacs etc. It's just to cover big bills such as speys or emergency treatment.

I have £3000 saved, not particulary for the buns but for any emergancy. Would deffo use that if I needed to though.

If you think about it you should put in at least £150 which would be your insurance premiums + what ever excess you paid on alvins stasis. That would give you something to start off with & maybe put a standing order in for a monthly payment of £5. Even if you don't need to use it for vets bill you could use it for their jabs & as a savings account for yourself.

Wow, you guys put aside a lot of money :shock: That is a lot when insurance can only be around £90 a year :?

(My maths isn't that great, am I missing something?! :lol:)

ETA: Actually I forgot most of you have more than one bun :)

:shock::shock::shock: my god you must be minted :lol::lol:

i am thinking ill start with about £750 but im scared it wont be enough...Alvins stasis cost £350 and was paid for but i still had to pay the excess hopefully my company wont fold and my new reduced salary will be over soon but im wasting £15 a month on the what if's instead of using that money for vaccinations etc

credit cards are out too.. ive had my accounts frozen because ive told them i may get into trouble in the next few months :censored: didnt even give me a chance to see if i miss payments before they started threatening me with defualts and bad credit rating :evil::evil::evil:

No :lol: I had no choice with the overtime and I still live with my mum so my rent is cheaper and bills are pretty much shared :lol: I just don't buy anything for myself, eat as little as possible and don't go out drinking if I get a feeling the rats are all going to be sick at the same time :lol:

That sounds like a good amount to start with :) Is it just Alvin that the savings will be used for? See mine is for 11 animals which is why I put away everything possible, it would be my luck that they would all become ill together!

Wow, you guys put aside a lot of money :shock: That is a lot when insurance can only be around £90 a year :?

(My maths isn't that great, am I missing something?! :lol:)

ETA: Actually I forgot most of you have more than one bun :)

Because my rat bills are huge, and I don't think anywhere would insure my rats :lol: I think thats a good idea to go on when you only have a couple of pets though

I've considered doing the same, as I pay 55 a month on insurance at the moment. I'm too cautious though, and in my experience even if I put that money aside each month it wouldn't be enough to cover should the worst happen, so I'd rather pay insurance! I had three emergency vet trips last year that came to £700, a vet bill just before xmas that was £460! If I only had two rabbits I would definitely pay out for insurance as it just isn't worth the risk. You may be lucky and nothing bad happen, then you could find that once one problem starts it begins to get costly....especially if it's something they wil lalways suffer from. I wouldn't have a pet if I didn't have insurance....especially the cost of vet bills these days!!

No :lol: I had no choice with the overtime and I still live with my mum so my rent is cheaper and bills are pretty much shared :lol: I just don't buy anything for myself, eat as little as possible and don't go out drinking if I get a feeling the rats are all going to be sick at the same time :lol:

That sounds like a good amount to start with :) Is it just Alvin that the savings will be used for? See mine is for 11 animals which is why I put away everything possible, it would be my luck that they would all become ill together!

i am thinking more for alvin and pearl because Alvin has had stasis so id be a fool not to have a back up plan if i cancel the insurance...

ralph too tho... his excess will now be £80 and ive not needed to pay more than £50 for him at anyone time and also with ralph being stes dog i know his mum would help us with any vets costs for him... it really is the bunnies i need to keep covered as i dont have a family member whos got spare cash :oops:...

im cutting back on everything so when this recession is over ill be spending much less than what im earning instead of using it all up on kak i dont need :lol:

im also *gulps* gonna attempt to stop drinking again too so thats a fortune id save for the savings :D

the market shopping is going well... i got the hugest amount of fruit and veg today for £20 whooooop whooooop whooooop

only thing im not going to give up is the car, my pets and Loki my sponsor bun.. the other stuff means nothink and i can live on a budget :D:D

all these plans..... just gotta prey my company dont fold :shock:

I just use the plastic

Yeah me too. I haven't got many savings at the mo so if I needed emergency treatment it would go on the plastic. I'm a bit of a credit card tart as I only use a credit card when it's got a 0% APR introductory offer. Once the 0% offer runs out I switch to a different card with 0% APR ;)

Yeah me too. I haven't got many savings at the mo so if I needed emergency treatment it would go on the plastic. I'm a bit of a credit card tart as I only use a credit card when it's got a 0% APR introductory offer. Once the 0% offer runs out I switch to a different card with 0% APR ;)

Ive been lucky mines been running offers of 0% for 6 or more months So ive got till sept to pay Vinnies

be careful 'card tarting' as banks are wising up... ;)

We have 2 dogs, 2 cats and 2 buns. Last year my Parsley began having teeth probs and as she was our first rabbit we weren't clued up as to theproblems they can have, she needed 3 dentals under GA and this led to two bouts of stasis. She then had a really serious eye problem and unfortunately we lost her in November . This coupled with one of our dogs being quite poorly meant emergency bills of over £1200 (no insurance and no savings!!) meant it had to go on the plastic. We then rescued Tilly and Smudge and although, like lots of folks, money is now tight we have insured them about £9 each a month. I also took insurance out on the cats and Mog, who's 11 now has chronic renal failure and we are covered for medication and his food (about £30 a month) and the insurance company are paying with no problem and won't load the renewal premium and will pay out for life or to a maximum of £2500.

Petplan pays out up to £2000 per year. I would say to cover yourself you would need at least £1000 in the account. But you also need to consider what you would do if your bun needs ongoing expensive treatment for the rest of his life. Would you be able to afford the treatment once the savings account runs out? Petplan will let you claim another £2000 the next year as well so that's why I'm sticking with my insurance.

Back