• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

post op check--pay or not???

albo

Warren Scout
ive just taken my bun for her post spey check up and paid £20, they didnt give her any meds or anything just checked her over inc teeth etc....my mate who works in a vet in bolton says i shouldnt of had to pay for the check up......does anyone else not pay for post op checks???

I don't think we pay for them, but then maybe the price of that is included in the cost of the spey????? I'm not sure how it works...

How much did they charge you for the spay?

I didn't pay for the post opp check but since the neuter was £85 I guess that covered it.

That seems mad, my bun didnt get charged for the post of check (or any checks). My friends bun went a different place and she didn't get charged either. Seems mad especially as the checks last all of 30 seconds haha :p

My vets cover the post op check in the price of the spay, is worth ringing and asking what the spay costs cover and if post op check should be included.

Nope, never paid for post-op check ups.
I don't even pay for Squidgy's appointments any more (ongoing problem) - just the meds.

Post op check ups are usually included in the price unless stated otherwise. I went back twice after my rabbit was spayed and I didn't have to pay for either check up.

A post op check up is usually just to check their recovery too, there wouldn't be any reason to check everything else unless you requested it for a reason. It sounds to me like they did that to justify charging. I'd phone round other vets in your area and ask would they have charged for it, if not then go back to your vets and say what they did was highly unusual practice and they did not make you aware of this before using their services and try and get it back.

i didnt pay for the pre op or post op checks... they was covered by the operation cost... i think it was about £60

Mine have always been included and they all have 3 and 10 day check ups.

However saying that my vets charge quite a lot, worth every penny though as I trust them with the buns.

My vets only charge £44.50 for a neauter and £58.50 for a spay. And both include a free pre-op check up! Its the cheapest I have found in the area and they are really good! They keep the costs down by employing alot of vet nurses (all of which are fully qualified) but I would trust them with both of my bunnies.

Having said that it cost me £76 the other day for 2 consulation fees (I had two rabbits at the same appointment), some metacam, some septrin and some eye cream!

my vets charge male neuter:45 pounds(+10 if dental spurs being done at same time) and also for females is 68 pounds both include a 3 day and a 10 day check up and a pre op check up for free. x

I had a voucher to help with the cost but in total i paid £45 inc meds for her, i have another post op check next saturday for her.

I will see if I can find anything that states about the post op check fees...but I hate to moan :oops:

I don't pay for post-op checks or follow up checks....just the initial consultation and then any medication or equiptment there after.

No way!!
It's part of the spaying price!!
Fair enough if she needed extra meds! But i think that's just obserd.

If it was just for the post-op check and only a check of the wound and update on how she's been getting on at home then most vets include this within the op fee.
If you asked for teeth checked or any more examination beyond that related to the op then they have a basis for charging a consult fee.

Back