• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I'm at my wits end...

Netutopia

Alpha Buck
...you may have read about Sooty being poorly over the last week and a bit. Well apart from a head tilt he is pretty much back to normal.

So much so that he started a fight with Syrup this morning. The two of them have lived happily together for 18 months but this morning for no reason all hell broke loose and they locked on and there was fur everywhere.

Nothing was any different to any other day to cause any upset.

They were in the garden when it happened (they have been in most days over the last week, so again nothing new). I separated them straight away and put them both back in the shed with me in there - seconds out round 2 :roll:

Now I have split them up - Syrup is in the shed and Sooty is in Nibbles old hutch looking thoroughly fed up.

:(:(:(

The only thing I can think which may be why I could not get my two back together was one sensed the other was ill. Good luck hope you get it sorted out.

Is there any way you could keep them both in the shed but separated by a double layer of mesh - I'm thinking so that they don't lose contact?
Maybe Sooty needs a little longer to recover?
I can't think of any other reason for a full on scrap if nothing else has changed?

Is there any way you could keep them both in the shed but separated by a double layer of mesh - I'm thinking so that they don't lose contact?
Maybe Sooty needs a little longer to recover?
I can't think of any other reason for a full on scrap if nothing else has changed?

Thank you for your suggestion, but it wouldn't be easy to divide the shed up, so I think he is better totally separate, she is bigger than him and the hutch would be too small for her.

Will try and have a think as I can understand what you are saying, but earlier it looked as though just the sight of each other was too much :shock:

aw sorry to hear about this. Fingers crossed they will get on again. When Molly was poorly sick I had to separate him from Jessica because he was in and out the vets for months. When I did try and rebond it was an absolute nightmare and they were fighting almost everyday so I ended up having to permanently
separating them!

I can only think its probably because Sooty has been ill so you have obviously had to separate them with vet trips etc so he would smell different. Buns are wonderful yet strange creatures.

Hope they will be back together soon!

xx

aw sorry to hear about this. Fingers crossed they will get on again. When Molly was poorly sick I had to separate him from Jessica because he was in and out the vets for months. When I did try and rebond it was an absolute nightmare and they were fighting almost everyday so I ended up having to permanently
separating them!

I can only think its probably because Sooty has been ill so you have obviously had to separate them with vet trips etc so he would smell different. Buns are wonderful yet strange creatures.

Hope they will be back together soon!

xx

Thanks for your reply - that is the frustrating part - Sooty has been to the vets 3 times and every time I have taken Syrup with him too in the same carrier (a very large one!) so that they weren't separated! :roll: The vet found it all highly amusing and made a fuss of Syrup too!

So sorry to hear that you had to permanently separate your 2 - what a nightmare :shock:

a couple of my pairs have been having fall outs lately. one pair who have been very close since bonded had quite a big fight last week which really upset me. its making me feel like i daren't go out and talk to them or fuss them for if i set them of fighting :( it's getting me really upset and stressed. i don't really have any explanation just sympathy :(

a couple of my pairs have been having fall outs lately. one pair who have been very close since bonded had quite a big fight last week which really upset me. its making me feel like i daren't go out and talk to them or fuss them for if i set them of fighting :( it's getting me really upset and stressed. i don't really have any explanation just sympathy :(

So it's not just me and my bunnies then - perhaps there is something in the air :?

My trio have been acting up lately too - just humping and chasing though no actual fisticuffs (thank goodness).

Have you had to split your pairs up then?

So sorry that you are stressed too.

So it's not just me and my bunnies then - perhaps there is something in the air :?

My trio have been acting up lately too - just humping and chasing though no actual fisticuffs (thank goodness).

Have you had to split your pairs up then?

So sorry that you are stressed too.

no haven't split them up. one of my pairs have always been a bit like this. happy when no one is around but when people are around the female chases the male around.i have watched them from my kitchen window and they are all loved up, licking each others mouths and grooming each other. i have learn't to let them be and handle and pay as little attention to them as possible. my newest bonded pair have been happily bonded for several months but had quite a bad fight the other week for no apparent reason. they seem fine now but it has scared me as i am so frightened of having another touchy pair :?. i have also a pair who live inside and the female is being a bit of a pest with the male at the moment if you know what i mean;) bless him, he's never had those kind of urges and can't understand what shes trying to do. she has been spayed but acts like this from time to time. i have also wondered if it is something in the air, i seem to remember them being a bit wierd last year but about early spring time. just hoping things calm back down really.

Thanks Mopsmom

I must admit that this pair are my least friendly pair (towards me), they will just about let me stroke them while they are eating and they will take food from me and help me clean their litter trays :roll: but that is as far as it goes.

Obviously for the last (almost) 2 weeks I have been handling Sooty a lot more, I wonder if now he is on the mend (fingers crossed) he has had enough and is taking it out on Syrup?

The problem is I can't risk putting them back together and fighting when I'm not there because he is still not well and I don't know how strong he is, also obviously I don't want either of them to be hurt.

I think that they will have to stay separate until he is fully recovered and then we will see how brave I am feeling.

They did have a bit of a fight before Sooty was ill while they were waiting for their food but nothing major. :roll: so I know I would worry all of the time if I put them back together.

Daisy was also quite "demanding" of Fluffy last spring although both were neutered.He was not impressed!!! I phoned the vet but apparently it was just that "spring was in the air":oops: and it did settle down much to Fluffy's relief!!!!:lol:

Back