• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

a bit concerned

Maestro

Young Bun
my two wee bunnies are about three and half months old, both boys from the same litter.

100_0013.jpg

100_0079.jpg

Generally they're very happy together and often snuggle up like in the pic above and regularly groom each other. Obviously the hormones are kicking now and the humping as begun. Initially it was just Quaver (grey) doing the humping and was a bit worried about Crotchet (fawn) but he's now caught up and there is mutual humping going on. From what I've read on here I've nothing to worry about with that. The other night I popped out for 10 mins (the cage is in the living room and they get to run around the room when we're home) and came back to find bits of fluff everywhere! this has never happened before. we watched them after that and saw that Quaver was quite keen to get jiggy while Crotchet was clearly not so keen but Quaver would hold on. Quaver also grooms while doing this so could see him nuzzling Crotchets ears and neck. Afterwards there was a lot of quite frantic chasing around the room and a fair bit of thumping from Crotchet. I noticed Crotchets ear was a little red but no broken skin or blood just like it had been rubbed alot. Since then they've been their normal snuggly selves with moments of chasing and an occasional wariness of each other.

This morning I can see Crotchets ear has a bit that looks a bit yellowey kinda like a blister but not. The bunnies have been happy enough playing with each other and have been snuggly and no chasing so far today so don't think I need to be alarmed just a bit worried if this is going to get worse.

have rambled a bit methinks :shock:

2 things I would suggest you do, one is to double check on their sexes and the other is to get them neutered this week coming if their testicles have dropped. If you leave it for too long you will end up with an injured bunny and serious fighting which may result in problems getting them back together again.

I notice you have electric cables on your floor, I hope you dont mind me suggesting that you cover these in something to prevent injuries to your buns, yourself or a fire.

noted - that was the laptop cable which is usually in a bag with said laptop. the vet said they can't be neutered til end March and did confirm they are both boys. like i siad in general they are fine. right now they are both snuggled up in their usual way.

I agree with the early neutering suggested above.

One thing that worked for me (when I was bonding a pair and Roger was so happy to have a girly he couldn't initially keep off her back:lol:) I put a couple of childrens footstools in their area.
Strawberry quickly realised that when she was brassed off with him humping her she would sit under the stool which acted like a tortoise shell - he'd sit on top of the stool but couldn't hump her.

It gave her a break from him whilst his hormones died down!

In all honesty if they are starting to behave like that now, I'm almost certain you will have full blown fights and two injured, single bunnies by March...maybe even by February... Seeing fur and humping is perfectly normal and nothing to worry about in a new bonding of neutered bunnies, but it is something to worry about in an unneutered male pairing.

If your vet won't neuter them very soon, I would get another vet to do it. They can be done as soon as their testicles descend, usually about 12 weeks and it sounds as if yours are there or thereabouts!

I had 2 from the same litter (origionaly told they were girls...but the one I kept is male so I don't know if the other was male or female really) and one they had one fight, they kept going. They started fighting realllly young (good thing really or I could have bad baby bunnies) to the point where they were cutting eachother and I couldn't rebond them. They cuddled up fine afterwards at first, but then just kept going.

I'd suggest keeping them seperate till they're neutered, coz the full blown fights are scary

Back