• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Easier way to give Baytril?

LionheadLuver

Warren Veteran
Hiya

I tried this morning to give Molly baytril in the side of the mouth. Oh my god, she fought!!!! I had to give short squirts to get it somewhere near her mouth and then she could later lick it up. Anytime you put the syringe near her lips, she freaks out!!! Is there an easier way?

I put tiny bits in a basil leaf, wrap it up and feed it to kermit until he has had his amount, its quite runny, so thats why i only do small bits.
Ive also used a sugar snap pea, sliced it down the centre, but leaving the other end complete and put the baytril in.
Works with lettuce leaves too.
Good Luck!

It would be worth a try, i know how much kermit used to struggle when i tried to stick the syringe in his mouth!

Yes I have put it on pellets before, just a couple of blobs on each piece of science selective and hand feed them. Or you could try making baytril porridge...I found they are so excited to get a tiny bit of porridge that they barely noticed the baytril :)

Baytril tastes vile (yep, I have....:oops:) so disguising the flavour in some way is usually necessary.

Thankfully I use Baytril injections but I have found that Buns may be more co-operative if given oral Baytril flavoured with Blackcurrant Tea or Raspberry Tea

:)

Baytril tastes vile (yep, I have....:oops:) so disguising the flavour in some way is usually necessary.

Thankfully I use Baytril injections but I have found that Buns may be more co-operative if given oral Baytril flavoured with Blackcurrant Tea or Raspberry Tea

:)

or a little bit of neat ribena works quite well too.:)

oohhh I had this problem with Billy last week! I just tried putting little bits on food and feeding it to him, even though hes a very greedy bun he knew it was there and I struggled!

Has she got snuffles? :(

Luke did funny things with his tongue when we gave him his baytril last night. I thought he liked it, but maybe it was because it tastes bad. :lol:

Thanks guys. May try the porridge? What can I use? What temp etc?

She has sore hocks and little bit of secondary infection, so it's to help with that. She also has metacam for inflammation.

What about on mixed with something naturally sweeter - like grated carrot or veggie powdered baby food? Just an idea.

Pringle and Sophie are both on baytril at moment, i put theirs on their pellets or in a tiny bit or porridge (pringle as he has lost wee bit of weight) and they take it fine like this :) xx

I squirt it onto a small piece of brown bread, leave it to soak in for a minute or two and then they eat it up no problem as they love bread!

I squirt it onto a small piece of brown bread, leave it to soak in for a minute or two and then they eat it up no problem as they love bread!

i use brown bread too.. works brill....

oh and i dont give any pellets or treats all day either until after...i find they gobble anything down if theyve had no fill me up foods :D

Small amount of fresh pineapple juice in the syringe to start, then the baytril, then more pineapple juice. And make sure the outside of the syringe is covered in pineapple juice too ... works every time for us! x

Daisy wouldnt take Baytril orally-absolutely no way!!!,my vet let me give it by injection,at least then I knew she'd had it:D.You could ask your vet to show you how

Back