• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Wood pellets from P@H

Maria786

Warren Scout
Anyone recommend wood pellets to use in bunny hutch? I saw a small bag in the rabbit section at P@H but a giant bag of the same wood pellets at the cat section was much cheaper! Is it the same stuff?

Can't believe they would charge a different rate :shock:

:)

I wouldn't put cat litter or wood based litter in for rabbit litter. Cat litter can give of fumes once used which are dangerous to a rabbit, and similar to the wood pellets, are not very good when eaten by a rabbit.

I have recently found out that wood shavings give off dust which can lodge itself in a rabbit lungs which I was really shocked baout. Ive now changed to Megazorb, which I get with my hay/pellet delivery.

I wouldn't put cat litter or wood based litter in for rabbit litter. Cat litter can give of fumes once used which are dangerous to a rabbit, and similar to the wood pellets, are not very good when eaten by a rabbit.

I have recently found out that wood shavings give off dust which can lodge itself in a rabbit lungs which I was really shocked baout. Ive now changed to Megazorb, which I get with my hay/pellet delivery.

Hi thanks for your reply, however I would love for you to tell me where you get your supply of all the stuff from. I am new to looking after rabbits so would appreciate any advice......anyway I am using wood shavings at the moment as they were suggested to me by the P@H staff member when I bought the bun about a month ago. That's why i have been using wood bedding up until now.

Hi thanks for your reply, however I would love for you to tell me where you get your supply of all the stuff from. I am new to looking after rabbits so would appreciate any advice......anyway I am using wood shavings at the moment as they were suggested to me by the P@H staff member when I bought the bun about a month ago. That's why i have been using wood bedding up until now.

Hi,
here are some sites for you to have a look at:
http://www.ukpetsupplies.com/Default.aspx
https://www.thehayexperts.co.uk/index.php?osCsid=edmkj0nkteuickosqidr0t1rb1
http://www.simplyk9.co.uk/shop/index.php

I currently use wood shaving but what I do is lay some newspaper, then the shavings and then lay another layer of newspaper over the top and then cover that layer in hay.
Hope that helps
Wendy

I use the wood pellet litter from PAH in kermits litter tray.
I have always used this and find it great.

Ill need to check when i next go to PAH to see if its the same stuff at the cat section cheaper.

Well if you look on here further, you will see we don't hold many of the P@h staff with high regard (There are exceptions, who often reside on here!)

Depending on how many rabbits you have (I have four) and found that for the amount I pay at P@h for a weekly supply of hay, I could buy 1 to 2 months worth at the farm. A bale is about 4ft by 2ft by 1 ft. My rabbits are on Allen and page natural pellets, and that is about 8 pounds for a 20kg bag, compared to the 4 pounds that I paid for P@H's dwarf rabbit pellets. Ive just started with the megazorb in the litter trays, which is about 6 pound for a big bag. That is instead of the wood shavings and hay.

I'm naughty and do still use wood shavings. However, my two are in a 4 foot by 10 foot dog kennel with vinyl flooring down and the shavings are confined to small areas under a layer of hay in their 2 litter trays. I don't think I'd expose them to it as you would in a hutch.

I use the cat wood pellet litter. My buns do fine on it. The one or two I have that liked to eat it, have newspaper instead, but all buns have a mound of hay on the litter and we don't have any problems. You need non cluming and unscented litter. The Pets At Home own brand says safe for rabbits on it, and I've been using it for two years with no problems with my rabbits at all.

Hi ya! I think the main difference between the small rabbit bag of pellets and the large cat one is that the cat one is pine scented! I was using the non-scented ones but will be swapping to megazorb next order!

i use wood shaving and cat litter inbetween the newspaper to soak it up and havent had any problems.. i actually like it

i use wood pellats that have been suggested to me by a very trusted local pet shop,i havent had any problems with it

Wood shaving are suppossedly linked to liver problems in rabbits

"Did you know that commercial pine or cedar litter or bedding can be VERY DANGEROUS and sometimes fatal to rabbits, rats, mice, guinea pigs, etc.?? Did you know that sand and clay kitty litters can cause and/or aggravate respiratory problems? Read on.

SOFTWOOD BEDDINGS: PINE AND CEDAR LITTERS

In 1989, House Rabbit Society (HRS), the premier national rabbit rescue organization, made a curious discovery (Harriman 8-9) following the unfortunate death of a young, healthy rabbit after a routine spay operation. HRS ran blood work and discovered that the rabbit's liver enzymes were far higher than normal. Excess liver enzymes in the blood indicate leakage from the liver, which is not handling toxins adequately; a defective liver cannot properly filter anesthetics, or other toxins.

Originally HRS had advised that all rabbits over two years old have blood tests run on them prior to any surgery. Because they could find no cause for the above rabbit's death they lowered that age recommendation to 18 months. As they began testing ALL rabbits prior to surgery, a disproportionately high number of rabbits showed elevated liver enzymes. Thus began a long process of elimination.
SEARCHING FOR A CAUSE
http://www.mybunny.org/info/litterliver.htm

After searching through all sorts of data (breed, body type, age, weight, etc.), no common factors were found. They finally looked to the bunny home—the cage—for clues, and that is where they found their answer: all of the rabbits who had elevated liver enzymes were using pine shavings in their individual litter boxes and/or cage trays! Of the group of rabbits tested only those that used alternative litters were found to have normal blood panels. "

I used p@h cat litter wood pellets coz they seem the exact same to me but cheaper! As it happens ive switched to bio-catolet (which they also sell in p@h, large tesco's and small pet shops, online etc so easy to get hold of) as its cheaper, softer and has less dangers compared to shavings etc. Seems comfier for the buns too than the hard pellets. The hard pellets i did find to get dusty (but only apparent when i cleaned them out so don't think it ever got to the rabbits). This bio-catolet doesn't do that which is alot safer! :D :D

i use newspaper and woodshavings then hay on top. never had any probs but during week bought p@h cat litter wood pellets -not sure what i think. big bale of wood shavings is a lot cheaper esp when 14buns to clean out. havent tried megazorb that everyone talks about but may do so next time

I use the P@H cat woodpellet (im sure its not scented :? ) in the litter trays with a generous amount of megazorb on top, a handful of hay in the trays also with hay in hay rack and hay tray (just a cat litter tray filled with hay) and use a towel on the base of their cage!

Although Fudge has carpet in her NIC setup (second storey) and lino squares on the base which are stuck down to thin wood!

I hope the cat pellets are ok as i havent had any problems as of yet and they dont get eaten as it gets covered with megazorb :?

I use the bunny wood pellet litter and find it great although I do get through a bag a week but haven't found it any cheaper to buy online after postage - will check out the cat stuff though....

Back