• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Advise peeps please: nail cutting

joeyred

Warren Scout
Well, my daughter and I have decided to bite the bullet and do some nail clipping at the weekend. After watching the vet we "think" they are now settled enough for us to do their nails instead. (note to self to buy some thick gloves :lol:)

Right my question is what do we use in case of bleeding. can we use "quick stop" i.e. for dogs or is there a special rabbit one that we need to use.

Thanks and wish us luck

I am far too much of a wimp to do my bunnies nails,i get the vet to do it.I once did my piggies nails and one bled,i was in a right panic.
Good luck,i am sure you will do fine:D

there is no need for the vet to do it

view the video in this link

www.peticure.com

since then I stopped using nail clipper, because I always afraid of over cutting and causes blood. But the consequence that I face is that my bun snap her nail and her finger due to the excessive length of the nail.

In the end, I bought the above. It's not that great. For those of you in england, just buy a dremel rotary tool, preferably the digital one (they're all the same price) that can set at 5K rpm (or low).

Now, if you think it's dangerous even at 5K rpm, you can buy the protective cab (it's a plastic cap) that goes w/ the dremel from the above web site.

But all the vet hospital that I know uses the dremel, noone uses nail clipper due to the reason I mentioned above

If the nail got too long and you don't cut it, 2 bad things can happen, as they had BOTH happened to my buns:

1) the nail will snap, blood will arise at the snap point, and bacteria can get in from the opening

2) The nail can trap by some sort of hole, and snap the finger joint, then the finger is loose and look like it's broken

I use Safari By Coastal Styptic Powder to stop bleeding

Our vet recommended a little talc if we saw blood, this was for gerbils as there a bit trickier haha but im sure it works likewise. We've cut our rabbits nails from the word go and not had a problem, easier with too people :)

Back