• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Guinea Pig Gestation period

Hi
Does anyone know how long a guinea pig is pregnant for please? And how soon after a birth can the female get pregnant again?

My friend found a baby in with her 2 piggies today!!! They got them before xmas and were told they were 2 girls!!

So either one was pregnant when they bought them - or ones a boy ( I suspect the latter)

I don't think they mind, I just think they need to know if to expect another baby/babies soon!!

2 months or 9 weeks...something around that.
I'm not sure if they can get pregnant instantly after birth like rabbits....I think they can.

My friend got a guinea pig (years ago) and when they'd had it a few weeks it gave birth. Got pregnant in the pet shop before they got her. Her babies died though coz the guinea pig was only a baby herself at the time :(

Hi
Does anyone know how long a guinea pig is pregnant for please? And how soon after a birth can the female get pregnant again?

My friend found a baby in with her 2 piggies today!!! They got them before xmas and were told they were 2 girls!!

So either one was pregnant when they bought them - or ones a boy ( I suspect the latter)

I don't think they mind, I just think they need to know if to expect another baby/babies soon!!

Piggies CAN get pregnant straight after birth :( so she needs to watch this space unfortunately :( Was there only one baby? c

Guinea Pig Gestation Period

Hi, saw your question and decide I'd have a look in to this as my childhood guinea pig had babies, she only lived with our rabbit, so was obviously pregnant when we got her but I remember someone saying they could "delay implantation" I still don't know if that's true but found out on Wikipedia that the gestation period is between 59-72 days, average 63-68 days, Mum can get pregnant again 6-48 hours after giving birth! and the Males are sexually mature at 3-5 weeks!!! and the females at 4 Weeks!!!!!!

Glad my two are girl pigs!!!!!!!:wave:

Back