PDA

View Full Version : Guinea Pig Gestation period

Jessica Rabbit
23-01-2009, 03:16 PM
Hi
Does anyone know how long a guinea pig is pregnant for please? And how soon after a birth can the female get pregnant again?

My friend found a baby in with her 2 piggies today!!! They got them before xmas and were told they were 2 girls!!

So either one was pregnant when they bought them - or ones a boy ( I suspect the latter)

I don't think they mind, I just think they need to know if to expect another baby/babies soon!!

ZakuraRabbit
23-01-2009, 03:19 PM
2 months or 9 weeks...something around that.
I'm not sure if they can get pregnant instantly after birth like rabbits....I think they can.

steph182
23-01-2009, 03:28 PM
My friend got a guinea pig (years ago) and when they'd had it a few weeks it gave birth. Got pregnant in the pet shop before they got her. Her babies died though coz the guinea pig was only a baby herself at the time :(

Buuny_Friend
23-01-2009, 03:29 PM
Hi
Does anyone know how long a guinea pig is pregnant for please? And how soon after a birth can the female get pregnant again?

My friend found a baby in with her 2 piggies today!!! They got them before xmas and were told they were 2 girls!!

So either one was pregnant when they bought them - or ones a boy ( I suspect the latter)

I don't think they mind, I just think they need to know if to expect another baby/babies soon!!

Piggies CAN get pregnant straight after birth :( so she needs to watch this space unfortunately :( Was there only one baby? c

Dustyrabbit
23-01-2009, 03:40 PM
Hi, saw your question and decide I'd have a look in to this as my childhood guinea pig had babies, she only lived with our rabbit, so was obviously pregnant when we got her but I remember someone saying they could "delay implantation" I still don't know if that's true but found out on Wikipedia that the gestation period is between 59-72 days, average 63-68 days, Mum can get pregnant again 6-48 hours after giving birth! and the Males are sexually mature at 3-5 weeks!!! and the females at 4 Weeks!!!!!!

Glad my two are girl pigs!!!!!!!:wave:

animal ry
23-01-2009, 03:42 PM
2 months and a half :wave:

Jessica Rabbit
23-01-2009, 03:50 PM
So it looks like it was already pregnant then, if they got them in December!

I'll let them know!!

Thanks everyone

Jessica Rabbit
23-01-2009, 03:51 PM
Piggies CAN get pregnant straight after birth :( so she needs to watch this space unfortunately :( Was there only one baby? c

yes, I'm sure she said only one? Is that unusual? Should she be looking for more?

Buuny_Friend
23-01-2009, 03:53 PM
yes, I'm sure she said only one? Is that unusual? Should she be looking for more?

I would be inclined to check very carefully for any dead babies and remove any straight away.

animal ry
23-01-2009, 03:55 PM
they dont ushaly give birth to dead children depends though ushaly the avrage for a litter is about 3 to 4