• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Need advice about a possibly neglected bunny.

Lauralou

Warren Veteran
I've been talking to a friend on and off for the last week about a bunny that belongs to her next door neighbour but keeps finding in her garden.

Today she sent this message -

Hello Miss, sorry to keep going on about the rabbit but would appreciate your advice...
I'm really worried about him as I think the neighbours are neglecting him. As far as I can see, his cage hasn't been cleaned out since all the rain last weekend and there's been a lot since...it is soaked through and on the ground...he also never seems to have any food in there. It may be they feed him after I go to work.
Also, I don't think he should be out all night and he is?
This morning, he was on my back doorstep and absolutely soaked through...he also sits outside my doorstep at night!
I don't know what to do really - I don't want to accuse them of anything without concrete proof, I just think I should make sure he gets fed and has some shelter in my garden if he needs it? At the moment, I'm feeding him a bowl of porridge oats!!! What should I get in for him as normal staple food?
Thanks xx

I've asked if she can have a word with her neighbour about its care, I also suggested calling the RSPCA. I think she's going to try and set it up some kind of shelter just in case and I've advised getting some hay in.

She owns to cats who are okay in its company but I'm not sure wether she'd be able to take the bunny in permanently.

Is there anything else I could suggest in regards to the neighbours? The worry about this bunny is giving me tummyache. :(

Poor you, poor her and poor bunny :( It's good that there is a good soul living next door to the bun to hopefully help him get a better life.

Could you suggest this lady joins the forum?

Poor bunny. :(:( I'd be very worried too. It doesn't sound like the poor little mite has any quality of life at the moment and if it's allowed to wander around at night, it's a miracle that it's still alive. :(

Hopefully the RSPCA will do something since the owners clearly aren't providing the 5 freedoms but I just hope they don't take too long.

Poor you, poor her and poor bunny :( It's good that there is a good soul living next door to the bun to hopefully help him get a better life.

Could you suggest this lady joins the forum?

Who, my friend? I'm not sure she'll be able to take on the bunny but she wants to make sure he's cared for until she manages to have a word with the neighbour or call the RSPCA....

Poor bunny. :(:( I'd be very worried too. It doesn't sound like the poor little mite has any quality of life at the moment and if it's allowed to wander around at night, it's a miracle that it's still alive. :(

Hopefully the RSPCA will do something since the owners clearly aren't providing the 5 freedoms but I just hope they don't take too long.

I'm going to forward the freedoms to my friend, I hadn't thought of that. :wave:

the fact it on her doorstep every night says to me it wants feeding and as shes fed it he will be back every night this is exactly what happened to my mum as a neighbours hopped over the road and nicked my mums bird food so she started to feed and every morning without fail he was there, but because the owner didnt want rid of it, she was unable to take it to a rescue, it has since dissapeared no doubt either run over or eaten, she feels really guilty, she did try to grab it, but it wasnt having any of it and shes not an agile lady either so i would deffinatly do all she can to prevent it becomeing another dead uncared for bunnie :(

Yeh, your friend. JJust though it might help her in some way, also, sometimes when we need to do something hard we can do with more views/support around us and she might find that here.

Is there any way your friend could hold on to the bunny and keep it somewhere safe, at least until she has spoken to the RSPCA? It's very worrying that it's free to wander around like that.

Has she spoken to the neighbours yet? Just wondering how receptive they are to advice. :?

Yeh, your friend. JJust though it might help her in some way, also, sometimes when we need to do something hard we can do with more views/support around us and she might find that here.

I've just suggested this in an email. :wave:

Is there any way your friend could hold on to the bunny and keep it somewhere safe, at least until she has spoken to the RSPCA? It's very worrying that it's free to wander around like that.

Has she spoken to the neighbours yet? Just wondering how receptive they are to advice. :?

She would be at work at the moment so won't have spoken to the neighbours yet, she has just contacted the RSPCA though...

Thank you, I am v concerned, I've just bought him some food...I've also just contacted the RSPCA about what I should do next...

My cats are fine with him but I do worry something else will attack him...he has a hutch next door but on the ground and seems very dirty, never seems to have food in it, there is hay but dirty and his food bowl is on top of the cage empty...I will check his nails later, he is always at the back of my house waiting for me! He does seem quite healthy but with all the rain we are having I did think being soaked through would be bad...

I don't know if they've just given up on him as he's always in my garden. I'm tempted just to take him myself but hey ho, I'd be in the wrong then!

I have approached them before about their cat. He is always outside and whining and I was worried about him for a while. The woman came in over Xmas when I first found the bunny in my garden and she was quite blase about it 'oh, he always escapes' - hmmm.

I'm around all weekend so I'll do some proper nosing...it's supposed to be quite dry too so I can get into the garden and do some stuff!

Let me know what the forum has to say, I'd be v interested.

I'd be so upset if anything happened to him or he got attacked...my Dad is bringing me a hutch next weekend but I am worried that is too late.

If she is able to get out in the garden and have a look at what accommodation he has been living in and the state of it, then, if possible, she should take photos because that could act as 'evidence' if they are prosecuted, and also if they have a tidy up if they know the inspector is coming or anything. I compeltely understand pictures may not be possible though, but it might be worth bearing in mind.

Awww, bless your friend. She must be so stressed about it, I know I would be. :(

She's a real animal lover so I know she'll be worrying like crazy.

I've linked her to the thread, she's probably too busy to join right now (I'm sure she shouldn't even be on Facebook at work!) but maybe she will later.

She's popped an advert on Freecycle for a hutch but failing that is considering buying one on Monday, which is her payday. Bless her heart. I want to smoosh that bunny right up and say we all love him! :love:

Is your friend in Northants? I have a cage that came from Freecycle that is not all that big or great but it is a hutch and if she want's it as a temp solution feel free. I was going to skip it when I move as we decided not to use it but if it can be used to help out I am happy with that. Let me know what you think.

Is your friend in Northants? I have a cage that came from Freecycle that is not all that big or great but it is a hutch and if she want's it as a temp solution feel free. I was going to skip it when I move as we decided not to use it but if it can be used to help out I am happy with that. Let me know what you think.

Yes, we are both in Northampton. You're an angel! :love: I'll send her a quick message.

Yay, this sounds promising. :D:D Bunny will soon have somewhere safe and warm to sleep. :D:D

Yes, we are both in Northampton. You're an angel! :love: I'll send her a quick message.
I must let you know it really is not in best condition or that big but I guess it is a good quick solution until things can be sorted. This story is so sad and the bun in question sounds wonderful. I will be signing off in a bit as I need to go and get my MOT done. lol. However I will be back on later so PM me and we can sort it out. I am in Towcester.

Hope things work out for the bunny. I couldn't help but feel familiar because I just took over a rabbit that's been on the run in my garden too...but at least he was cared for, they gave him food and had him in a run...which he kept getting out of...but he was another case of a kid growing tired so after getting annoyed at rabbit droppings all over my yard I decided to just take him:3

Back