• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

If it says "dust extracted" on the pack

Maria786

Warren Scout
then surely that would be ok. Why have I read on here that wood shavings tend to give rabbits breathing probs.

dust extracted is much better. but with any wood shavings/wood chips you can get the dust as they break up in the pack sometimes... .so often people prefer not to use it or to use it with a layer of newspaper and hay on the top. x

All shavings even if dust extracted have some fine powder and will break up in use resulting in tiny particales. Rabbits still breath it in and on Post Mortem many rabbits who have lived in cages with it will be found to have wood particles in their lungs. All pine and cedar shavings will contain phenols which can cause burns when mixed with urine and also can result in liver damage.

It is best avoided, there are many other suitable options available at a reasonable price.

All shavings even if dust extracted have some fine powder and will break up in use resulting in tiny particales. Rabbits still breath it in and on Post Mortem many rabbits who have lived in cages with it will be found to have wood particles in their lungs. All pine and cedar shavings will contain phenols which can cause burns when mixed with urine and also can result in liver damage.

It is best avoided, there are many other suitable options available at a reasonable price.

Ok thanks for the advice. I found myself reading about "megazorb" on here. Is this a good site or do ppl here buy elsewhere? I havent seen megazorb in any shops so will have to pay delivery:

http://www.farmway.co.uk/pet-1/smal...mal-1788.htm?gclid=CLDW3vq7pJgCFQo1QwodnUR8Zg

Anyone reading this post, pls let me know if you know of elsewhere that is cheaper. I will be using megazorb from now on. ;)

That site was the cheapest I found megazorb online a few mths back. ;) I now get it from a local horse supplies/farm shop and it's £6.60 a sack.

Back