• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How did you get your bunnies?

dayle_x

Mama Doe
Just wondering how most of you came across getting your buns?

Phoenix my british giant was from a breeder
Noonoo my dutch was from a little girl who got bored and was an end of the garden bun
Scooby, Pixie, Bunty and Gem came from a breeder (before i even thought about rescues :()
Millie was a bun that was a runt from one of my old litters
Charlie was a bun that a breeder didn't want anymore because he wasn't the right colour
Miley was techinally rescued from a petshop
and if i get Buttons (might change his name) he was 'rescued' from a breeder who he didn't fit her 'breeding program' anymore

Tomee was my bosses childrens bunny, the usually story, they got bored so I said I would have him. He was kept in the tiniest hutch, 3ft P@H hutch, and was so timid and now he's a fiesty little thing!

Beatrice I got from Nicola3 who has a rescue in Devon. Bea was found in a shed, in an upside down cage, with no food or water and now she's a right little greedy madam!

:D

i went to the garden centre to get a guinea pig as mine had just died leaving his friend lonely and came back with a rabbit (Crystal) instead :oops: that was 4 years ago! the rest followed after that!

Hermione was chosen after weeks of deciding which colour conti to get from a breeder :oops:
and Oscar was bought by his previous owners, becuase they thought he was a pure yellow conti and wanted use him for stud but they found out he was a conti X giant papillion, so they didn't want him :roll: He's living a happy and plumless life with me now :D I didn't know a thing about rescues then... no matter what, my next ones will be rescue :D

Miffy:Saw an advert for 6 month old dutch rabbit but when i got there fell in love with Miffy she was 4 weeks old collected her at 8 weeks She only cost me £7.00 and has been the healthest rabbit:)
Shadow:nottingham small pet rescue
Porky:Rescue off RU was took into a vets at 6 months old to be pts a bunny run from portsmouth was sorted for him
Truffle:Honeybunnies
Dandy:Honeybunnies
Vinnie:RSPCA

My first rabbits were Netherland Dwarf sisters from a Pet Shop :oops: One died within 24 hours and that started us on some research about rabbits. Better late than never I suppose :shock:

We then discovered rescues and the sheer number waiting for adoption and found we couldn't resist 3 rabbits waiting for adoption from Fat Fluffs in Solihull. All 4 are now happily settled together living in our specially converted shed :D

We got Bella after a 'breeder' brought her into the pet shop my OH was working in, saying that they didn't need her any more coz she had a lump on her side and if the shop didn't take her they'd put her in the wild. She was only a year old when we got her according to the woman, and had already had 3 litters, the poor girl. So she came home from work with him, and now lives a life of luxury!

And then cost me nearly £1000 in vets bills getting her healthy again :shock:

But i wouldn't change her for the world, she's my baby :love::love:

Joey was a baby bun from a rspca rescued doe
Saffy was from an over-run breeder and was going for meat :shock:
Dreamer was from Honeybunnies :D
Tinkerbell is an ex-breeding doe that refused to take to any more bucks, i rescued her from a breeder.

Well, where do I start???? :lol:

Roscoe our first housebun was a stray my sister's friend found - we took him in & he really started something!!
Willow & Bracken came from the RSPCA as wifelets for Roscoe.
Barney was from PAH adoption section.
Alfie, Ollie, Oscar, Mimi, Libby, Teddy, Minnie, Tiny Tim, Benjie, Ruby, Alice, Wilson, Noah, Toby & Jemima were all rescue buns.
Harry was an unwanted child's pet from hubbys friend.
Amber was a stray my sister in law found in her garden.
Poppy was an unwanted child's pet after her mate died :cry:

My first Oscar the nethie was from a lady who bred just a couple of litters. 'He' is now a 'she thou!

Boo the lionhead also came from a lady that just bred a couple of litters, i got to see mum and dad and brothers and sisters just as i did with Oscar so I know they were kept very well and healthy.

Then came Henry the mini lop from a breeder, I wanted a mini lop and didn't think of a rescue as a friend of mine tried to adopt a pony but had to jump though hoops (she has the most beautiful stables and loads of money but still they made it too hard) so put me off a bit.

Then Humphrey the black rabbit, he was unwanted by someone i know because he was not a she! :roll:

Then came Carrot and his brothers and sisters an accidental litter of Boo and Henry (i think but i could have been Humphrey!) this happened 2 days before the boys were booked in for the chop! I don't regret a moment thou as it was the most wonderful thing having those 7 babies and 6 of them went to lovely knowledgable people and have great homes!

But then i was back down to 5 and i realised i could cope with more so i got Brian the REW mini lop and Sebastian the mini rex from the same breeder as Henry.

Jack was rescued from an awful girl who kept her animals in poo :cry: (the RSPCA have since been! :p)

And Gizzy is from Fatfluffs as i joined RU and realised bunny rescues were not as crazy and horse rescues :lol:

:D

Lionel was from a pet centre
Lolly from RU
Jazz from a neighbour
Joseph was a failed foster from ARC
Maddie & Izzy were from ARC
And Robbie the hamster was from PAH adoption centre

Hazel and Jack I have had the longest and are from a petshop.

Leo had been dumped out in the cold when he was a baby and left to go hypothermic :( I got him from a vet nurse who had taken him in and cared for him.

Daisy, Minstrel, Baby, Susie, Paddy and Heather were all from Fife Rabbit Rescue :)

Runt and Oddeye were brothers we fostered for a local rescue, we fell in love with Oddeye and Runt showed some behavioural issues, so we kept him, he's lovely now though.

Snowy, Milly, Molly and Thumper were all failed fosters.:oops:

Treacle was a rescue who was taken to us, by a relative of the owner, very thin and she and her son were being kept in a small indoor cage which was filthy. There were others in the litter but don't know what happened to them or the father :(. The owner got the police involved, but the backed us up and advised the owner to sign them over to us. Unfortunately we found Fudge dead in his hutch one morning.

We were asked to take in Sorrell, by a friend who was trying to help the owner. He couldn't afford a cage, had friends with dogs coming in to visit and decided to rehome her after she broke a front leg. He'd 'rescued' her from a drug user. She is a VERY nervous rabbit.

Jessica's owner asked us to take her as they couldn't keep up with her grooming, she is an angora.

The rescue we used to foster for asked us to take in Jess, because they thought she would be difficult to rehome, she was 4, one eyed and had dental problems.

Xena was found dumped in a field and the person who found her phoned the vet, saying they would let her go again if they wouldn't take her, so they phoned us. She was very aggressive, so I suppose that is why she was dumped.

Ziggy was advertised 'free to good home' due to an allergy, but from previous experience I knew he was aggressive, so we took him.

Our own buns:

Squirrel and Moley - RSPCA
Louis, Lilia, Archie, Reggie and Pancake - ARC
Geronimo - Honeybunnies
Bea and Florrie - Freecycle! :evil:
Luna and Lottie - a member on here :)

Foster buns:

Bella (and babies) - Ebay! :evil:
4 lionheads (yet to be named) - dumped at vets I work at! :evil:

Charlie was my first, he came from my cousin who got bored of him. He was neutered, vacced, and given a home that is about 4 times as big as what he had!

Princess,advertised on RR, came from a home with 'allergies' , but they had had her for about 4 years (?), She went to the Bridge soon after :(

Then came Sophie, accidental litter, she was bought as a friend for Charlie after loosing his first wifebun, But she was too young and an indoor bun, so she is currently indoors til it gets warmer. whoops!

After a search, and trip to Blackpool (thanks Beth) we found Autumn. Her family had split and neither person could taken her with them :( So she came to stop with me, and is wife bun to Charlie. I still send them regular updates.

Now I have the "man with no name" (formerly Flipper) Who, I am proud to say is a Honeybunny, and my first 'proper' rescue bun. It was love at first sight for me. And is soon to be Husbun to Sophie, pending bonding, which I am being really wussy about this time round.

my mate kept sending me pics of baby rabbits and kept saying one had my name on it...... i wanted a bunny as a kid but wasnt allowed..

i read up on them and decided wallpaper eating wasnt something id put up with so got the chippies instead...

about a year when my cat died and it didnt work out with Sassy (my almost Dog, now called patch and back living with stes family in scotland) i desperately needed to fill the hole left in my heart ste agreed to a bunny so off we rushed to get Alvin..... id forgotten how destructive id read they were :lol::lol::lol:

Pearl is here purely because of RU and me being made to realise bunnies shouldnt live alone :D

Back