• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

shrinking Poo

kate_s

Warren Scout
I wonder if you can help me, Its been nearly two weeks since we adopted Reggie and all of a sudden his poo appears to be half the size it was. At first they were big and golden now they are small and dark. He has lots of fresh hay all the time is very lively at times drinks a small amount of water and loves his veggies and pellets. He always eats all his food. I only feed him a small handful of pellets in the morning and of an an evening along with veggies of an evening. Is it just a case of reducing veggies or removing completly and hope he'll increase hay intake? Thanks in advance :)

Well done for noticing a change in his poo :)
It is a sign of reduced gut motility so picking up on it quickly is important.

What pellets are you feeding?
How much exercise is he getting?
How old is he and do you know his history re any Dental problems ?
Does he eat alot of his hay ?
Does he have a water bowl or a bottle?

This is my second bun but first adoptee. I'm feeding him supper excel this is what he is used to. He's a house bun and at present my hubby is at home so he is having about 10 hrs free range each day. He doesn't go out though he never had a garden before and we thought be best to wait untill less damp and warmer! I don't think he eats a lot of his hay but i'd say maybe two handfuls a day, he has a bottle thats what he is used to i have tried a bowl but he looked at me like i had two heads :):)

This happened to my boy Toffee, he got weeny little pellets for poos, he'd also lost a bit of weight so we popped him along to the vets who prescribed Fibreflex for his gut :)

This is my second bun but first adoptee. I'm feeding him supper excel this is what he is used to. He's a house bun and at present my hubby is at home so he is having about 10 hrs free range each day. He doesn't go out though he never had a garden before and we thought be best to wait untill less damp and warmer! I don't think he eats a lot of his hay but i'd say maybe two handfuls a day, he has a bottle thats what he is used to i have tried a bowl but he looked at me like i had two heads :):)

Sounds as though he isnt eating enough hay.
First I'd get his teeth checked as he may have some molar spurs. You could try him with a few different hays. This is a great site

http://www.thehayexperts.co.uk

I would not cut out his Veg but I would try to wean him onto a pellet feed with a higher fibre content than Excel. Something like A+P Natural Rabbit Pellets or Oxbow Pellets.

Hopefully they will pick up with th help of better diet control if not i'll be straight the vets. What else can i try in the mean time? I've put a big bowl of hay in the middle of the living room and he's having a nibble so fingers crossed. Thanks for your advice

Thanks Jane he's due at the vets Monday to get neutered do u think he will be ok for the op? His previous owners said the vet said he needed to eat more hay so def be worth getting his teeth checked. I'll be poo watching all weekend now. I lost a dental bun a few months ago so fully understand how bad it can get. Thanks again Kate :thumb:

your vets will be able to check his teeth when he is under & burr them for you if he needs it if you ask them. Some buns are quite fussy about hay though so it may be that you need to find him something more to his taste. Jane recomended the hay experts & the dustfree hay company http://www.dustfreehay.co.uk/ is also good.

Is he moulting at all? A small piece of fresh pinepple once or twice a week can help break up any fur thats been ingested so can also get things moving more quickly.

No he's not moulting at all he's only short haired too. I think rabbits are too much like humans why eat salad when u can eat chocolate well in a bunnys world why eat hay when u can eat pellets and veggies so i'm just trying to push the hay a bit more and i have bigger poos already hurrah Thanks for all the tips i'll get online and order some samples, following payday of course! :D:D:D

Back