• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is It Essential To Get Rabbit ..

Not essential as in survival but highly preferable. If the rabbit is to live with a companion then being neutred will make him an easier companion (nigh impossible without neutering) it will make him happier (either bonded or alone), and will almost certainly make him a nicer rabbit to be around you as not hormonal..... little habits like spraying urine!!

If the rabbit is healthy then I would definately recommend it. If he is kept on his own then he will probably start to hump you, spray a lot and be more aggresive to you. If he is kept with a female he will hump her a lot and this will obviously get her pregnent if she isn't spayed but even if she is this will probably make her angry and they will fight. If kept with another male they will probably fight VERY fiercly and seriously.

I'd personally recommend anyone who owns a rabbit, to get both male and female neutered, due to the fact it helps thier behaviour alot, elminates the risk of uterine cancer in females, and stops unwanted litters
I have an un-neutered female atm,Ella, and she is a NIGHTMARE, shes a right cow and constantly attacks your feet, where as Piper my neutered girl is very calm and placid although will honk at you if she gets sick of ya :lol:

Well, it's not essential like it is for females but they still can develop cancer.
I think the main component is to stop the aggression/ unsociable behaviour.

My little Buster has been Neutured and it calmed him down and made him more :love: towards me rather than spraying me :lol:

if he is neutered tho not a health risk if he isnt will calm him down stop him biting so much, mean he doesnt spray wee at you and wee everywhere make litter training into a tray easyer and all ow him to have a companion. oh and should mena bun doesnt start to bite or growl at you and make mroe laid back in general...... (a rescue would already have done this for you ;) )

to be truthful haveing the cost of 2 rabbits isnt much differnt to one day by day obviosuly its double teh vccs... so instead of 22+15 for the year its double and double the insurance in food i dont notice the difference! :) any luck with finding the right bun for you yet? x

EDIT: in females its really essential the risk of uterine cancer is 85% of age 3yrs up die from it..considering they can live 6-14 years its worth doing! x

We didn't neuter Squidgy until 2 years ago, as he never displayed any behaviours etc. However, he suddenly started spraying me, buzzing round me and trying to hump my arm, so he was in and snipped!
I think he's happier now, as there are no hormones to upset him!

I think it's worth it as it means the bunny is less likely to have to deal with behaviour changes brought on by hormones - so it's easier for the bunny as well as us owners!

I think if boys arent neutered they can start circling/humping you - general
behavoiur.

Plus of course if you want to get him a wifey without the problemo of babas

Is It Essential To Get Rabbit Neutured? If Its A Boy?

not essential I would say (unless living with an unspreyed female of course) but I have noticed a *huge* difference in mine since having him done. Before he bit me and tried to attack me but nowdays he is like a gentle giant!

Back