• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Should I go tomorrow or not?

FudgeMallow

Mama Doe
Well went to the vet today and got a stand-in vet as my usual was on holiday and i was NOT pleased at all!

Fudge got looked at first, it was a check up of her back teeth, and he shoved the thing in her mouth realised the light didnt work and said "she should be fine for a couple of months, i cant see but when she stops eating bring her for a dental" :shock::shock: Not happy bout that.

Then Skyes turn. I explained he has been excessively drinking and urinating and he is covered in wee but he was more interested in his eye that has a blocked tear duct! He held him down and was pulling on his ears :shock: was proding at the corner of his and and skye squealed but he said "be quiet" :shock:

Then i explained AGAIN what i was there for, he had a look at him bum and flet his bladder said he seemed fine, got a needle and a bottle of some medication injected him without explaining what it was and what for, so i asked and he said it was an antibiotic!
Then he said "i would like to see him tomorrow and see if he is responding to the antbiotic, and i would also like a urine sample"

So he took the needle off the syringe he just used, washed it under water and handed me it!

Im not too pleased as i didnt get any explanation as to what could be wrong and Fudge didnt even get her teeth checked :?

I have an appointment at 9.40am but i want to wait untill monday till my usual vet comes back!

What should i do? please help

Ha gave a used syringe back to you for what purpose? the urine sample?:shock:

Erm to be blunt I would be putting a complaint in....and I wouldn't be allowing a vet who says 'wait until he stops eating then bring him in for a dental' to be touching any of my rabbits!!! By waiting until he stops eating it actually means he is possibly suffering. Rabbits will go as far as they can to hide pain before they stop eating, and I don't agree with anyone who says it's acceptable to do that. While some will stop eating at the first sign of a spur, some will carry on regardless, and a lot of damage can be caused before it is noticed that they are having trouble.

I wont let her get to that stage im taking her back next week to see my other vet and will be telling him i wasnt happy at all with the stand-in vet :?

The used syringe is for the urine sample, when he handed me it is was mortified :shock: i have bined it and will use a clean one in the packet i have at home!

So will i take skye back tomorrow or wait untill my usual vet comes back or take him somewhere else?
:wave:

I think I'd be waiting to see your usual, trusted vet!

I've had similar worries also recently and won't see anyone I don't trust (the list gets longer!!). I think injecting the bunny without explaining why is unforgivable. I know I had a vet a long time ago say, "Urm, that could be a problem as some point" but never explained. How rude. I asked and she turned out to be referring to her dewlap - but why talk to themselves and not to me!!

Edit to add: I'd be guided by Skye's symptoms but I definitely wouldn't want to see that vet again :?

I wont let her get to that stage im taking her back next week to see my other vet and will be telling him i wasnt happy at all with the stand-in vet :?

The used syringe is for the urine sample, when he handed me it is was mortified :shock: i have bined it and will use a clean one in the packet i have at home!

So will i take skye back tomorrow or wait untill my usual vet comes back or take him somewhere else?
:wave:

So he gave you effectively a contaminated vial to use for a urine sample :? What a plank!!! :lol:

To be honest if you don't feel 100% confident I would seek out a rabbit savvy vet and try and get an appointment tomorrow. If it's a urine infection he will need continous antibiotics and i would want to rule out anything more suspicious i.e kidneys. Has he ever been panacured? :)

So he gave you effectively a contaminated vial to use for a urine sample :? What a plank!!! :lol:

To be honest if you don't feel 100% confident I would seek out a rabbit savvy vet and try and get an appointment tomorrow. If it's a urine infection he will need continous antibiotics and i would want to rule out anything more suspicious i.e kidneys. Has he ever been panacured? :)

Thanks i will go elsewhere tomorrow!
Not been panacured as of yet i was going to start sat as i need to get some from P@H 2morow.
Fudge, Millie and Thumper have been done just starting Skye, Blackie and Gizmo sat!

Should i start it tomorrow or leave it untill i find out the problem?

Thanks again :D

Thanks i will go elsewhere tomorrow!
Not been panacured as of yet i was going to start sat as i need to get some from P@H 2morow.
Fudge, Millie and Thumper have been done just starting Skye, Blackie and Gizmo sat!

Should i start it tomorrow or leave it untill i find out the problem?

Thanks again :D

I would start skye on it tomorrow if you can! You can order it cheap from vetuk to save you some money, they are usually quite quick with delivery and if you order it tonight it should get to you saturday? It's free P&P too....

If i were you I'd wait till your vet comes back.
I went to a vet once that I really didn't like and haven't been back since. Bad vibes and very cocky!

There's no way I'd go back tomorrow, I'd definitely wait until you can see your usual vet on Monday! If the problem has been ongoing for a little while, although it's not ideal, I think you'd be better holding off for a few more days and getting a proper look over (and a quiet word about the locum!) with your usual vet.

Those syringes cost just a few pence each, what sort of vet would consider reusing one like that, how ridiculous :shock:

Sounds like he didn't have a clue :?
Even if it is an infection it would not respond to the antibiotic over night :shock:

I agree that you should see someone else or wait until Monday.

I would wait until Monday. Nothing worse than a vet you don't trust treating your precious bundles of fluff.

I trust my vet, she's lovely and always explains what she thinks, and discusses the treatment with me. This is the 4th practice that I've tried since being here though:oops:

Well i will wait untill monday (unless he gets worse then will go in tomorrow or sat) I will be having a word with my usual vet as i am really not happy about today :?
Sky has been his usual cheeky self tonight and hasnt drunk as much water :D:D
Panacur has been ordered and will be started as soon as i get it :)

I normally add probiotic to my buns water when they are ill, would it do any harm with him or be ok to give?

Thanks guys :wave:

EDT: still totally gobsmacked about the used syringe :shock::shock::shock:

Back