• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Myxi Jab

Hi
Sorry to start a new thread, but I am worried about my bunsters Jabs now.

So I have found out today that Honeys jab on Tuesday night was in fact The Myxi Jab.( for those of you who don;t know the vet had to rush off and see to a cat that had just been run over, and the records were not updated)

But when I queried about the boys having their next Myxi jabs, she said to leave them until MArch as that is when the season can start (they had their first ones last July)

SO why would she give Honey her Myxi now. Why didn't she give her the VHD jab first and then the Myxi in 2 weeks time (when it is nearer to march)

Do vets always give the Myxis first and then the VHD 2 weeks later.

I am so worried in case she forgot which one she gave and is just saying Myxi!

Sorry - being paranoid now:oops::oops::oops:

I'm guessing the logic ....

Eric and Ernie have previously had a vaccination so theirs is a booster, whereas they gave Honey one as it's her first and more important to give her it now.

It varies as to whether they give myxi or VHD first but I *think* most give myxi first as there is more chance of a bunny contracting it.

If my guess is right then it probably was the myxi jab after all.

Well rabbits should have their Myxi jab as soon as is possible because it is so common and your rabbit can catch it at any time of the year. The VHD should definately be done but is a smaller risk. I don't think it would be wise to leave them unprotected from Myxi so that you can get it done in March.

Although your rabbits will still be protected from Myxi, march is the time when they start to see lots more cases due to the weather and more insects about. Ideally everyone would get their boosters done in early March so I think that is what she is suggesting, then your bunnies will be on the right time table for the best possible protection all year round.

I'm guessing the logic ....

Eric and Ernie have previously had a vaccination so theirs is a booster, whereas they gave Honey one as it's her first and more important to give her it now.

It varies as to whether they give myxi or VHD first but I *think* most give myxi first as there is more chance of a bunny contracting it.

If my guess is right then it probably was the myxi jab after all.

Oh thanks so much

TimboH pretty much said the same thing on my other thread, so you have re-inforced that now. So am feeling much more confident about it

Thanks again!

Well rabbits should have their Myxi jab as soon as is possible because it is so common and your rabbit can catch it at any time of the year. The VHD should definately be done but is a smaller risk. I don't think it would be wise to leave them unprotected from Myxi so that you can get it done in March.

Although your rabbits will still be protected from Myxi, march is the time when they start to see lots more cases due to the weather and more insects about. Ideally everyone would get their boosters done in early March so I think that is what she is suggesting, then your bunnies will be on the right time table for the best possible protection all year round.

Thanks again timb0h.
So when would Honey need a booster if she has onlyjust had the first one?

Most of the time the booster should be given 6 months later. The problem is that 6 months from now is in June which is mid summer and a high risk time for Myxi. If you can afford it then I would repeat it around this time in March or April, so then she will be covered for the whole of summer and you can repeat again in Autumn. If you can't afford it again so quickly then don't worry, she will still be protected and you might want to repeat it in May, this just puts you on a funny schedule for the boosters.

Most of the time the booster should be given 6 months later. The problem is that 6 months from now is in June which is mid summer and a high risk time for Myxi. If you can afford it then I would repeat it around this time in March or April, so then she will be covered for the whole of summer and you can repeat again in Autumn. If you can't afford it again so quickly then don't worry, she will still be protected and you might want to repeat it in May, this just puts you on a funny schedule for the boosters.

Hello and thanks again
If I did it again in April, isn't that a bit too soon. I understand the Logic in having it done in the Autumn as that then evens it out again for March next year, but will April be too soon after this one, and if I wait until Autumn is she at a higher risk as it is longer than 6 months since the first one?

sorry - i just don't want to put her at risk of either injecting her too frequently or not enough.
What are the down sides to 3 Myxi jabs within the year?

As long as the rabbit is healthy then repeating myxi isn't really a problem. It only takes them about 2 weeks to recover from the vaccine. Obviously your vet should know when the last vaccine was so they can recommend appropriately, but I believe your vet is recommending march so it shouldn't be a problem. If you did it in April then you would be repeating in October which I count as autumn :)

As long as the rabbit is healthy then repeating myxi isn't really a problem. It only takes them about 2 weeks to recover from the vaccine. Obviously your vet should know when the last vaccine was so they can recommend appropriately, but I believe your vet is recommending march so it shouldn't be a problem. If you did it in April then you would be repeating in October which I count as autumn :)

Thanks again - you're a star!!

What would I do without all you guys on here?:oops::oops:

Back