• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Trio - 2 boys and a girl

Netutopia

Alpha Buck
Hi :wave:

I have a trio (all neutered):

Sweep (male), Merry (female) and Thumper (male)

Sweep and Merry were a bonded pair and after Thumper lost his wife bun last year we bonded him with the other 2, they got along great for a couple of months, with the boys often sitting together with Merry doing her own thing.

They are still fine, but for some reason Sweep and Thumper seem to be taking it in turns to hump poor Merry. She puts up with it and when she has had enough she generally runs away. The boys don't really bother too much with each other - a bit of chasing and that's all really. This has being going on for about a month.

There are no fights and quite often they will sit together and all groom each other.

Does any one else have 2 boys and a girl? Is this normal behaviour?

Merry is being such a good girl - I don't know how she puts up with them both! :roll:

it could be them reestablishing dominance.. is anything particularly different in the area they ar? air freshners.. different disinfectant or bedding type or given them a lot more space?... moved things around.... new toys?etc? this could be the cause and if is should settle down. i would also say get merry (the girl sorry if got names confused) checked out by a vet(remember to take them all together as often if buns turn on a nother rabbit its becasue they sense something is not right and while i expect this to be unlikely it is best to double check. also it could be that we are coming up to spring the start of the mating season and the boys are just realising!!!! and its completly harmless adn will re settle.

it could be them reestablishing dominance.. is anything particularly different in the area they ar? air freshners.. different disinfectant or bedding type or given them a lot more space?... moved things around.... new toys?etc? this could be the cause and if is should settle down. i would also say get merry (the girl sorry if got names confused) checked out by a vet(remember to take them all together as often if buns turn on a nother rabbit its becasue they sense something is not right and while i expect this to be unlikely it is best to double check. also it could be that we are coming up to spring the start of the mating season and the boys are just realising!!!! and its completly harmless adn will re settle.

Thank you for your reply. Nothing has changed that I can think of (I have racked my brains, believe me!).

All the bunnies are fit, healthy and happy and I wouldn't say that Merry is being picked on - she is just getting a lot of "special" attention from the boys! :lol::lol::lol:

Thinking about it - it happens when I am around and not so much when I spy on them from the kitchen window so could it just be excitement over food and attention from me do you think?

My trio of boys and a girl have the occasional hump :oops: but it is dying down. It's usually 7 year old male Totti on the receiving end from either of the other 2 :oops: but he takes it in his stride :oops:.

My trio of boys and a girl have the occasional hump :oops: but it is dying down. It's usually 7 year old male Totti on the receiving end from either of the other 2 :oops: but he takes it in his stride :oops:.

Thanks - That is reassuring to know.

Good old Totti - bless him!

It might also be time of year. Breeding season is very much arriving and even neutered/spayed rabbits seem to have an inbuilt knowledge/awareness of this and it might be that the time of year has just awoken some of their long doormant 'needs'.

If they are still fine then I would let them get on with it, but if they look like they are getting annoyed with each other, or starting to fight then you might need to look at different options. For now though, just keep an eye on them.

I have a mmf trio and they don't do this, but each bunny and each trio is different and it might be that yours can do just fine with this behaviour.

Back