• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

equisorb any one use it?

I haven't tried equisorb yet, but I'm hoping to get hold of some. Sorry, not much help! :D

I nearly tried it but was warned by the supplier that some of it was treated with citronella so shouldn't be used with rabbits.

That's odd, Cazzap. Equisorb was mentioned on the Gorgeous Guineas newsletter this week. Here is a quote:

WARNING: There is another type of Flax bedding called Lincore available. This is NOT suitable for guinea pig bedding as it has been treated with Citronella Oil. It is made by the same company that produce Hemcore, and that too is treated with Citronella. So why aren't beddings treated with Essential Oils not suitable for guineas? For the simple reason that guineas are so low to the ground that they have their noses in the bedding all day long and their skin is in contact with the bedding too. Skin can become sensitised to the Oils when it is in constant contact and can cause intense irritation and swelling. Oils are inhaled and easily absorbed via the lungs. They are often very pungent and can cause sneezing, respiratory problems and can affect the internal organs causing a buil d up of toxins over time.

ie what they were saying is that Equisorb had no citronella.

It is odd. What the lady was saying to me was that some of the stock was treated with citronella but not others. She did say some guinea pig people used it and loved it as its so soft but not the stock treated with citronella.

Maybe the supplier was talking about lincore and said equazorb by mistake. we were discussing the merits of alternatives to megazorb so talking about lots of products so maybe thats what happened

Hi i contacted gorgeous guineas about this and they send me copy of their newletter this is a quote from it

"During December we took some Equisorb for a test drive after poking, prodding and sniffing several different types of horse bedding at our local farm shop. Equisorb is a horse bedding based on Flax and is much finer / softer than Aubiose. It is very absorbent, dust-free, easy to spread and cheaper than Aubiose or MediBed. The best part is that it creates far less waste for recycling. For three large 6' Cavy Cages we normally fill 2.5 or 3 black sacks for each clean (plus another black bag for newspaper). Using Equisorb, this was down to just 1 black sack for recycling via a friend with an allotment:) Because Equisorb is much finer than other beddings, it will compost down much more quickly, so there are lots of advantages with Equisorb. The guineas like it and have shown no signs of trying to eat it.

WARNING: There is another type of Flax bedding called Lincore available. This is NOT suitable for guinea pig bedding as it has been treated with Citronella Oil. It is made by the same company that produce Hemcore, and that too is treated with Citronella. So why aren't beddings treated with Essential Oils not suitable for guineas? For the simple reason that guineas are so low to the ground that they have their noses in the bedding all day long and their skin is in contact with the bedding too. Skin can become sensitised to the Oils when it is in constant contact and can cause intense irritation and swelling. Oils are inhaled and easily absorbed via the lungs. They are often very pungent and can cause sneezing, respiratory problems and can affect the internal organs causing a build up of toxins over time.

For some unknown reason, Lincore comes in an unmarked bag, so there is nothing to tell you what the product is or how it has been treated. One for Trading Standards perhaps?"

I would like to give it a try but not sure about buying 36 bales!!

I still really want to try this. Apparently there is also a similar one called Jopack. Have found a flax bedding from GJW Titmuss called Royal Span but don't know if that is treated with citronella...

I have just got some jopack from a horse supplier! So far so good! absorbant,no dust, no smell,no citronella, softer than auboise, looks a bit splintery but isn't really.Bag is compressed and bigger than a bag of megazorb. Thinks it will last much longer than megazorb! Happy so far!:D

I'm jealous! ;) I've emailed both suppliers today to see if I can get hold of it in Essex (not holding out much hope at the moment).

Back