• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

walking your rabbit

It depends on where you are walking them. There are at no greater risk than if they are free in your garden. However if they are out in the street you may experience problems when dogs which are not used to rabbits are about.

It is essential that your rabbit is fully vaccinated against VHD and myxie if you do take them out.

Last edited:
I started out with my rabbit on a harness when in the garden just because i was worried i would never catch her. After a trail and error she is actually easy to catch so dont use it now :D

I also took Ozzy out in it for the first time coz i'd already been told he's a bit of a pain (although i do need the exercise so it could be an idea...) he was fine in the enclosed area so i let him off it. He know escapes this area so ive given up and they both have the whole garden haha. As for getting them in i simply open the patio door! So far they both come in when there ready and if not im sure a rattle of some pellets in a dish will fetch um in haha.

I have also walked spice around the parking area behind our house (as its all enclosed, off road etc) and we have a nice strip of grass down the side of our house so we often used to do a once-round-the-house, out of the front door, round the side of the house for a quick snack, into the backgarden for another snack, then in through the back door! :D thats if thats where spice wanted to go haha its best just to follow your rabbit so we've ended up in other gardens before...:roll: also expect weird looks of the adult neighbours and excited kids running over... haha

My rabbits don't leave the garden anyway :lol:
So even when wearing a harness they stay close to their homes:)
In the summer I normally use runs, but now a days these snow down so often and may even break under the weight of the pretty white stuff (+Rufus keeps escaping from them:lol:) so harnesses are good to use every now and then. I also use them when I'm on vacation or visiting my mom, when I can't put up a run.

You can't walk a rabbit like a dog, try to yank the lead and in most cases they'll go in the opposite direction or they just lie flat to the ground and refuse to move. :roll: I've tried encouraging them for a longer trip by giving them a pat on the back, and a few times they've left the garden.... only to run straight back after only going a few feet out on the road:lol:

Charlie's got a harness so I can start taking him outside in summer. I want him on the harness as there's other cats in the area that come near our house so I don't want him to be able to stay too far away from me. Plus he might chew some of the plants that would be bad for him!
Eventually I want to get him a run for outside anyway, but I figure a little wander out the back with a harness will be easiest to start with and keep him the most calm.

Oh Right. Well There Is A Walkway Where Lots Of People Take Their Dogs, Would This Be Okay? Just Worried About Him Catchin An Illness.

I would be more worried about him injuring himself. When rabbits get scared they bolt for cover and if he is in a harness this could seriously injur him. If he has had his Myxi and VHD jabs then that would protect him against the most common diseases but there is always the chance when taking them places where there is high traffic of picking up something.

As Timb0h says, I would have thought that there is a very real risk that he could injure himself in a harness if something startled him when out. Bunnies have a very delicate skeletal system and damage to the spine can be caused relatively easily.
It also of course depends on the rabbit as to whether it will tolerate wearing a harness or not. Some are fine with it, others get very upset when it's put on x

Back