• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Worried about bunny with possible respiratory infection.

Bunny Buddy

Wise Old Thumper
Tinks has been sneezing since Sunday 11 January and saw a vet on Monday 12th (who didn't examine her and said she would need a sedative to be examined as she was not keen on being handled :?)

She was given 5 day course of Baytril. I tried to get her seen again on Saturday as on Friday night she had a bad sequence of sneezing that scared her and me, unfortunately the vets was really busy and she barely sneezed that day so I decided the wait at the vets would be more stressful than necessary. (I had enough baytril 'til Tuesday).

She was thoroughly examined by F Harcourt-Brown on Tuesday, who could find nothing seriously wrong with her, prescribed Baytril again and said it could take a while. (Tinks didn't need sedating by the way!) Dusty environment was also suggested as a possible trigger, or it being a possible respiratory infection.

So my worries:

The sneezes are fairly gentle except every now and again she has a series of sneezes with coughing almost choking noises which panic her quite a bit (Roo also looked really startled when this happened 10 minutes ago also). She can spend as much as half a minute with 12/15 sneezes and frantic coughing/choking noises for maybe 10 seconds - is this typical of a respiratory infection or does it sound a lot more sinister? There is no obvious discharge, her nose and paws seem dry (except very slight wetness on edge of her nose). I was wondering if it's possible to have phlegm in her throat but not her nose..

She is otherwise bright and eating like a horse. Also, rather than an infection, could it be environment? I've heard that a dry atmosphere from central heating (don't have central heating but room is heated) can cause sneezing and related symptoms?

Another question. I'm not sure if I'm being paranoid or if she is a little more subdued today - can Baytril make them a little more subdued? it could of cause be that she's been sneezing for 10 days - i know it would wear me out a little.

It's really quite scary watching her have the sneezing fits, any advice/sharing of wisdom/experience would be appreciated.

Last edited:
snowball has the same problem... i noticed it makin him a bit more subdued... but bein ill makes them like that too... keep takin him back if the antibiotics dont work... i feel like im bein super panicky too but when i have to hold him to stop him gettin distressed when he is violently sneezin i dont care what ne1 thinks i want himt o be well... snowball wont let me out the room hes clingin to me... sleepin alot and sneezin alot... as soon as he finished the first course of antibiotics he was ill again... hopefully this lot will help... luckily for me the pet shop knew his litter couldnt of been infected so there refundin all the bills... its upsettin tho... i hope urs gets better... it isnt nice... seein them distressed

i hope urs gets better... it isnt nice... seein them distressed

Thanks. I only saw your thread after I'd posted mine. I hope your bunny will be okay too. It's so scary when they are ill :cry:

I'm luckier with Tinks though as she will at least take Baytril on bread so I don't have to stress her by syringing it. I really hope she shows improvement soon as it's stressful for all of us.

My Hoops has a respiratory infection and is on 10 days of oral Baytril, having had the first dose by injection. We'd noticed the odd sneeze over the past week or so but in every other respect she's been fine - playing, eating, drinking, grooming the others :) Noticed though that her breathing was very rapid and shallow, even at rest, so popped her to see the vet. Got everything crossed that the antibiotics will knock whatever it is on the head. Sending vibes for Tinks. x

im hoping with this water (big sneezin fit just then my poor baby) antibiotic he will drink it n there wont be ne stress cos it did stress him loads...

I have found that using Tiacil (an abx Eye Drop) as a nasal drop, applying a drop to each nostril 1-2 a day can help Buns with URTIs or just bouts of 'unexplained sneezing'. Tiacil contains an anti-inflammatory aswell as an abx and it appears to sooth irritated tissue within the nasal cavaties.

Obviously this was done after consulting my Vet as Tiacil is a POM

:)

I have found that using Tiacil (an abx Eye Drop) as a nasal drop, applying a drop to each nostril 1-2 a day can help Buns with URTIs or just bouts of 'unexplained sneezing'. Tiacil contains an anti-inflammatory aswell as an abx and it appears to sooth irritated tissue within the nasal cavaties.

Obviously this was done after consulting my Vet as Tiacil is a POM

:)

Thanks Jane. I'll ask about Tiacil if the symptoms continue to distress her.

Oh poor Tinks, sorry no useful advice from me but just wanted to send her some vibes. xx

Oh poor Tinks, sorry no useful advice from me but just wanted to send her some vibes. xx

Thanks Karen. Poor little flower, as if she hasn't been through enough :( I'm going to have a really good vacuum round after putting her and Roo somewhere out of the way of mischief! ... just in case it is my dusty house that's upsetting her nose :oops: It was amazing seeing FHB examine her - seeing my feisty Tink being cradled like a baby was amazing! :love::love: Needless to say, the previous vet will not be asked to examine her again :no:

It was amazing seeing FHB examine her - seeing my feisty Tink being cradled like a baby was amazing! :love::love:

Awwwwww. :love::love: What a shame that other vet couldn't have been there to see it too. :roll:

Have fun with the hoovering. :lol::lol:

Back